DVDpedia with macOS Sierra 10.12

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
spishak
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

DVDpedia with macOS Sierra 10.12

Post by spishak »

I recently upgraded my new iMac to Sierra. Everything still works as expected in my large DVDpedia library except for one thing. Switching records takes longer than before. Previously I could hop around my library by typing a letter in the thumbnail view to go to the first title beginning with that letter and it would jump there in about 1 or 2 seconds. Now it varies from about 5 to 15 seconds. This is with no other major programs open and using DVDpedia 5.5.0. I'm approaching 2,000 entries and I have only 8GB of RAM, but I'd swear it was much faster to move around my records before upgrading the operating system. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: DVDpedia with macOS Sierra 10.12

Post by Conor »

Thank you, for the compatibility bug report. I shall make sure to fix it for the next version. I can't reproduce it right away, but I shall investigate.

It should indeed be 2 seconds, the 2 second limit is a fake limit added by me, to give the user enough time to type as many letters, to be more specific. After nothing has been typed for 2 seconds, the jump happens and it should be instantaneous.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Try this FREE maintenance program - Onyx. I have been using this for years. I especially use it prior to updates then immediately post updates. It cleans out a lot of detritus and all sorts of rubbish including 99% of all the caches (deep & surface system + Apps). Major updates like Sierra have the potential to corrupt these sorts of files so scrubbing them clean or deleting them does no harm and certainly improves things. Make sure you download the Sierra version only.

HINT: Examine all its functionality first by clicking your way through the Tabs & Sub-Tabs first and select the settings you want. Plus you do not need to do a Restart each time it asks, just do one at the end.

Cheers

P.S. I have just realised I have said all this for each major macOS update - (Yosemite Performance and DVD Pedia with El Captain) Conor maybe a sticky note needs to be placed somewhere prominent in the board index about how to make updating major & minor macOS updates go smoothly in relation to the pedia's (and other Apps :) )
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the info finewine. Indeed I have to move a lot of the really useful forum info into a how to, that is more prominent maybe even some info into the included help files. I'll add this info to the post about Sierra as soon as the last minute mini fixes for Sierra are approved and ready to launch the next version. The mayor changes went into the previous version, so upgrading would be smooth for all users.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

That would be great - as you say there has accumulated over the years lots of little snippets of really useful & helpful info. A prominent central "How To" repository would be ideal. Perhaps in the top section of the Board index page. A caveat though should be that only Bruji can add or edit this repository but forum members can make "How To" entry suggestions/recommendations in the relevant forum topic.

If you like I can write a "How To Prepare for the next macOS upgrade" for you. (confession - I have not updated to Sierra yet as I always wait for the first minor update to be released. [10.12.1 in this case]

Cheers :D

P.S. Off back to Sydney at the end of month for 8 days to visit old friends and haunts. Whilst over there will be upgrading our two venerable old iPhone 4 (16gb) to the latest iPhone 7 (128gb). We plan on doing a A$25 ea trade-up deal at the Sydney Apple store and want the Genius bar to transfer all our content from the old iPhone's to the new ones as we will be using our iPhone's in Sydney, hopefully, besides the App's, the likes of all our Book & DVD pedia data is transferred as well. We of course will be doing a comprehensive iMac iTunes back-up prior to going over.

P.P.S. we will be saving NZ$200 buying in Sydney as we can claim the Aussie GST back at the airport :D :D
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Congratulations on the upgrade. If you get the time look at selling your iPhone online as you get quite a good deal sometimes. I have never done it, always pass mine on to the younger cousins and nephews.

If they make a copy everything should make it. Should they use iCloud to restore, then you lose the images as Pocketpedia labels them as expendable to let the iPhone save space when needed and not back them up. But they download on the fly as needed when viewing the details as it gets them from Doghouse. When you get home you can have a large collection populated back from the Mac, now automatically (use to be hold down the option key, but the latest version is smart enough to see it was restored and do it for you).

To bad you are not in Sydney come December, we shall be passing by. Would have been nice to get together for coffee/drink. Wanted to make it all the way to New Zealand but it's truly so far away. Although our dream country, if we could move the entire extended family.