Media icons, VGPC, Backlog

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
elko84

Media icons, VGPC, Backlog

Post by elko84 »

Hello. I was wondering if it would be possible to get media icons in DVDpedia (such as DVD, Blu-Ray, VHS, etc) sort of how Gamepedia has Platform icons.

Also, I was wondering if there was any interest in adding to Gamepedia some new features such as a Backlog system to help facilitate playing our backlog of games. To improve the "Value" total of our collection, I would like to see VGPC integration added. This way our games could automatically be valued instead of having to enter prices manually.

Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Media icons, VGPC, Backlog

Post by Conor »

I have on the todo list to expand the details view template, to allow for images depending on certain values. So that if media is VHS then display a cassette tape but expand it do it can be used in several fields; genre is comedy, display a laughing emoji... (it can be done already but requires a little knowledge of Javascript.) It would not be column and not as useful at quick glance but would add more life to the details view.

I shall consider the media image column an idea, as it would not be hard to do, but with such a limited set of media on DVDs does not sounds as useful as it is in Gamepedia.

You could build a backlog system using smart collections and a few custom fields as well as the time, last played and completed field, to see what should be played next.

Thanks for pointing me to VGPC, I see they have a paid API. It's a bit expensive for Gamepedia on a subscription basis, but could be something we can integrate directly to Gamepedia or Doghouse as the Gamepedia user base grows and we can afford the monthly cost.
elko84

Re: Media icons, VGPC, Backlog

Post by elko84 »

I just thought it would be nice to see the DVD logo or Blu-ray logo depending on which type of media you own the movie on. If not in the columns, it would be a nice touch to the Details View section. With that, I wouldn't mind seeing that carry over to Gamepedia too. Be nice to see the Xbox or Playstation logo in the Details View.

Also, love the fact you added Giant Bomb site support for pulling information. Love that website.

Thanks for the reply.