Books Read per Year statistic seems incorrect

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
brownsm

Books Read per Year statistic seems incorrect

Post by brownsm »

This year I have read 213 books, last year 229 - based on smart collection.

Yet the graphical stat for the same thing shows 240 last year and 231 for this year when looking at the whole library.

If I look at the statistics for this year's books I get 1 read in 2013 (?) and 222 read 2017 on the graph but the Read bar shows 213.
If I look at the statistics for last year's books I get 233 read in 2016 on the graph but the Read bar says 229???

The only think I can think of is that the graph is looking at each possible read date - so if I have duplicated a book so it copies series, subject info over etc and a read date has been included in error it will count this as read twice when I do finally read it??

If so, how can I get to the number of times read or previous read dates so I can delete them? I can't find it on the field preferences and I can see that the stats do show I have read some books more than once.

I can understand why it might look at all read dates but it would be useful to be able to correct mistakes

Thank you....
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Books Read per Year statistic seems incorrect

Post by Conor »

You have narrowed down the difference though your debugging. Your smart collections are based of the "last read" field, while the read count in the statistics is based of the history of reading dates. You will find the history window under "Book -> Last Read History". You can leave this window open and select different books to find out the entries that several dates. But the easy way is to display the "Read Count" field and sort by this fields (You can also make a smart collection of read count is greater than 1, as I imagine the list of books you have read more than once is not as big as your read once list). The books that are being counted twice would certainly need to have a number of "read count" higher than 1.

A book read in 2013 and then in 2016, would only show in the 2016 smart collection, but would be counted for both bar graphs in the statistics.
brownsm

Post by brownsm »

Thank you Conor, I couldn't find the 'read count' field for the life of me :D

Although I'm not sure if it appeared when I created the Smart collection.

There are loads, but I think this is because I have duplicated books that have been read. I can go ahead and fix now.

Too many new books to read without reading some twice :D
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You might have the "Read Count" field turned off. Check under the menu command "Bookpedia -> Preferences -> Fields (tab)". Place a check mark next to any field you want to have active and it will show as a column or for use in a smart collection.