DVDPedia not finding correct discs

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
thevideojunkie
Contributor
Contributor

DVDPedia not finding correct discs

Post by thevideojunkie »

Hmmm. After years of using old DVDPediaa 4.x, I *finally* upgraded to latest 5.6 via the Mac app store.

However, now that I bought a handful of new Blu-ray discs, I am having problems adding them to the collection. No matter which disc UPC I enter, DVDPedia finds V for Vendetta -- which I did not buy. Also, when I type titles in as keywords to search, the findings are incomplete.

I also just signed up with a new Amazon associates account so I can enable Amazon searches. If I understand that right.

EDIT: I should add that I am using 10.11.6 for OS version. I am holding off update to 10.12 because I have an important application that does not function well or reliably with High Sierra. Is this my problem?

Any ideas? Thanks.
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: DVDPedia not finding correct discs

Post by FineWine »

thevideojunkie wrote:I also just signed up with a new Amazon associates account so I can enable Amazon searches. If I understand that right.
You do not have to sign up for Amazon Associates now. If you 'Option' click 'Help' and select "Amazon Test" you are now able to access any Amazon Country. I in fact just ditched mine a couple of weeks ago and now just solely use DVDpedia built-in "Amazon Test".

Conor will answer your other questions.

Cheers
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I have made some recent changes to the searches that are not live on the Mac App Store version. If you are running MacOS 10.12 or 10.13, please download the beta version should give better search results.
thevideojunkie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thevideojunkie »

As mentioned, I am running OS version 10.11.6, and I don't dare update to 10.12 so long as I rely on a particular DVR software that is reported to be unstable with 10.12.

Since upgrading to 5.6 from 4.x, DVDPedia is pretty much not finding *any* disc I want to add to the collection.

Is there a version that still works properly with 10.11?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Please try a new download of the official version, I did a silent update for 10.11. Also do do the "Amazon Test" option mentioned above to get that working as well.
thevideojunkie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thevideojunkie »

Will do. Thanks, guys. I'll let you know how I make out.
thevideojunkie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thevideojunkie »

Conor, thank you. You solved my problem. Using the 'Pedia version you last linked, I was just able to add my six new Blu-ray titles. Excellent.

A note in case it helps: I used iSight camera method. When I first tried, the program quit a moment after I selected iSight. But the second time I tried there was no hiccup as I successfully added the new titles with the camera.

{EDIT: Deleted a note here because I found the button I needed. :) }

For the time being, I will not be updating the OS version on this late 2012 iMac 27. For my work and most other uses, I have moved on to a Windows 10 desktop and a laptop. However, I am keeping the iMac around for two applications: DVDPedia and EyeTV. I am reading that EyeTV is not very 64-bit friendly and also seems to not be in active development. I depend on it and have not found a replacement, so that's going to hold me back on OS updates and future DVDPedia updates that require an OS update for now.

Anyway, glad to have a DVDPedia version that is working for me. Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad we are all fixed up. :)

Windows has come a long way in the last 5 years. It's been more of a pleasure to use and a lot of users are returning or trying it out as well. I of course are die hard Mac person, but I understand how nice the new Window is, specially the hardware.

Speaking of hardware, we used to be friends with the EyeTV developers, they would send us free dongles and tuners. So I could integrate it with DVDpedia. But they ElGato has moved to a much lucrative market of hardware for the connected home. They are German, so they are better known in Europe, like the Nest of Europe. Sadly don't wait for any updates on the EyeTV.
thevideojunkie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thevideojunkie »

I am sure you are correct about EyeTV. Not expecting anymore from them, so this iMac is "frozen" as is so long as I rely on that software.

Regarding DVDPedia, things are working well with the exception of iSight. It pretty much crashes the app more often than it works, so I have taken to typing UPC codes. Might have to look for a code reader. Use to have a CueCat, but not sure where it is.

I have just completed adding my 1,009 laserdiscs with cover images to DVDPedia. Just the technical info and titles from lddb.com. I will populate more fields (directors, cast) in spare time. For now LD and DVD will grow slowly and I will get busy with Blu-ray purchases. Been out of collecting for a while, but getting back into it.

Anyway, I'll stop bending your ear. If you get some insight about iSight (hah!) give me a shout.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Also something addressed in the beta. :| Sorry about that, been putting my time into all this non 10.9 version. :oops: