Unable to play movie images

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
TonyH
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to play movie images

Post by TonyH »

I just downloaded the program, excellent by the way (I used to be a DVDProfiler user). I cannot get the linked VIDEO_TS folder to begin playing. When I use Option-P DVDPlayer opens (no file info in the window header) and I when I push play I get a SUPPORTED DISK NOT AVAILABLE error. When I open the same file in the player it plays just fine.

The files are located on a network drive: Here is the link in DVDpedia:
file:///Volumes/MSHOME;HOMESTORE-1/0024543247012_DATE_MOVIE_UNRATED/VIDEO_TS

Here is the link from the DVDPlayer when entered directly (Open DVD Media...)
file://localhost/Volumes/MSHOME;HOMESTORE-1/0024543247012_DATE_MOVIE_UNRATED/VIDEO_TS/

What am I doing wrong?
TonyH
Contributor
Contributor

Additional info

Post by TonyH »

When I link to a VOB file MPlayer starts up and plays the VOB from the link just fine. So the issue seems to be the way that the AppleScript is working (at least I think so from the info I have read in the forums).

As I understand it, when a file is linked an open command is issued to the OS and whatever program is associated with the file opens the file.

When a VIDEO_TS folder is linked an Applescript command is sent to DVDPlayer to have the player open the image. (For some reason this is not working). DVDPlayer opens but the player does not link to the folder.
TonyH
Contributor
Contributor

OK Even more info

Post by TonyH »

More information related to my problem:

When I make the modification to have DVDpedia use VLC vice DVDPlayer the movie begins playing just fine...

Any idea what may be causing this to fail with DVDPlayer?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the details. Download DVDpedia again and give it another try and let us know.
TonyH
Contributor
Contributor

That did the trick!

Post by TonyH »

Thanks Conor, the new version corrected the problem. I can play VIDEO_TS files with no issues now.

I did notice in another stream that 3.4.4 was supposed to remain in full screen as the DVDPlayer starts up. I am temporarily going back to the desktop before the movie begins to play in full screen... Not a huge issue (when I am ready to make a Mac my HTPC I will find a work around) but it sure would look a lot better if the DVDPedia application in Fullscreen mode stayed that way before and after the movie plays.

Thanks again for the fix.

Tony
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad you are happy with DVDpedia. :D I can't get the desktop to show for me; there must be a setting I am overlooking that is allowing this to happen on your system.