DVD Launching Does Not Support Unicode File Names?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
ewoo
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

DVD Launching Does Not Support Unicode File Names?

Post by ewoo »

I can't seem to launch any files linked that have unicode (Korean) file names. This is unusual...
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Are these Video_TS links or regular files?
ewoo
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by ewoo »

Conor wrote:Are these Video_TS links or regular files?
No they are .avi files that play fine when opened directly in QT Player or VLC. Somehow the filename seems not to get passed onto VLC when opened from DVDPedia (VLC launches but ends-up with no file to play on its queue. (Other avi files with latin character filenames open fine when launched via DVDPedia.)

To repro, simply navigate to amazon Japan, copy some random characters and paste it as a file name on an avi file or even just a folder name (that contains a VIDEO_TS subfolder). I'll bet DVDPedia's PLAY script will fail to pass the filename with non-latin characters.

(OSX inherently supports unicode so this really should not happen, right?)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

This is a problem with VLC. VLC does not support the unicode string in its AppleScript, switch to using DVD Player and Quicktime; As you mentioned Apple does support unicode and so do their applications. Otherwise if you must use VLC change the name of VLC and DVDpedia should not recognise it and will pass on the file to be opened by the Finder, that can handle unicode as well, as it does outside of fullscreen mode.

If you still want VLC to go fullscreen you can try modifing the AppleScript to use the Finder to open the file and then after a delay tell VLC to go fullscreen.
ewoo
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by ewoo »

Conor wrote:This is a problem with VLC. VLC does not support the unicode string in its AppleScript, switch to using DVD Player and Quicktime; As you mentioned Apple does support unicode and so do their applications. Otherwise if you must use VLC change the name of VLC and DVDpedia should not recognise it and will pass on the file to be opened by the Finder, that can handle unicode as well, as it does outside of fullscreen mode.

If you still want VLC to go fullscreen you can try modifing the AppleScript to use the Finder to open the file and then after a delay tell VLC to go fullscreen.
I see. Thanks a bunch for looking into this! Very very much appreciated. I love DVDPedia. :) Keep up the awesome work!!