READ checkbox

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
two_brain

READ checkbox

Post by two_brain »

i have many problems to mark read book and don't read book. i find only a "last read" voice in book's detail but i don't remener when i read ALL my books... yes it is usefull for new book but for all my libraries is useless. i would like to see a little "READ" checkbox...

hi :)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

May I suggest one of the custom fields to use as a read field. You can type "read" into that field to indicate that you have read it or "want to read", "plan to read", "do not read" ...

Also collections are useful for this, you can create a need to read collection and drag books to that collection. This is the more intuitive way of grouping things, the former has the advantage that you can sort the custom field and export it as a tag.

You can also use the "last read" field as you suggested. You don't have to enter the actual date as you don't remember, you can enter "today" and the fact that it is filled will let you know that you read the book. It also has the advantage of having the command-shift-T shortcut under the Edit-->Mark as menu to add today quickly to a book.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

I add my vote to this one. I would definitely prefer a check box. I am reading quite a lot right now, and sometimes I just forget when I finished reading a certain book. I'd just like to click a "I have read this" checkbox.

Would it be hard to add this?
stonneway
Contributor
Contributor

Post by stonneway »

Yep, i third this. I would like to have a smart collection of books i have, but havent yet read.

Using a custom field is good, but not ideal. Perhaps a feature whereby you could add and name your own fields, and set them as text boxes or check boxes.

Olly
DanCornett

another vote for "read" checkbox

Post by DanCornett »

I've thought about this a bit ... particularly in comparing various implementations of this in different cataloging programs recently.

- I like the convenience of a check box, even over the keyboard shortcut for setting the date read (... but that is nice!).

- It is easier to search or select by the check box -- especially in smart collections/lists.

- The check box could automatically put in the current date as the date last read ... but only if that date field is blank. (I wouldn't want a 'multiple item' update to change existing 'last read' date fields -- particularly if I'm setting that field retro-actively.)

- Which raises the question: Should it be a separate field, or should it just be an indication that the 'last read' field is blank or not? THAT is a more interesting philosophical question....

hmmmm.... at this point I can't think of any reason why it couldn't be just a user-friendly way of setting the 'last read' field and/or a "short-cut" for viewing the status of that field. (e.g.: if in Filemaker, I might make it be a simple calculated field referenced to the 'last read' field; the displayed checkbox would always be a script button to do the "right thing" with the date.)
stonneway
Contributor
Contributor

Post by stonneway »

"Which raises the question: Should it be a separate field, or should it just be an indication that the 'last read' field is blank or not? THAT is a more interesting philosophical question..."

as long as we get a check box, we dont care :)
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

What a pity ... new version yesterday, but still no checkbox :(

Filling the "last read" with just something random isn't what I'd like to do. Sometimes I write my start- and end-date into the book, so I'd put that into bookpedia. A checkbox would help to differentiate.

So, waiting for the next x.y.++ release.
stonneway
Contributor
Contributor

Post by stonneway »

seconded.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Any news on this? Still not convinced? :D
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We are doing a look of work in changing the internal structure of the program. Once we get it done will start with the details like this feature. Will keep you posted when the beta testing starts.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

That's great news, thanks a lot!
Tod
Inductee
Inductee

Post by Tod »

I'm a newcomer to Bookpedia and I too miss having a "read" checkbox. My immediate workaround was to activate the column named "signed," which is a checkbox column, and moved it to the far left of my list. When I read a book, I just check it off. This works for me as I am not a collector and have no signed books. YMMV.
Alba
Contributor
Contributor

checkboxes in custom fields

Post by Alba »

In the same vein as a "read" checkbox, I'd like to see user-define custom fields possible not only as text fields, but also as checkboxes, numbers, or dates. Just off the top of my head, I personally would use checkboxes in two separate columns to remind me to return library books that I've borrowed from another collection, as well as indicate that I've read a book in my personal collection. I think this kind of flexibilty would be great!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback, it's on the to do list.