Problem with new Cue Cat...

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
monks1975
Inductee
Inductee

Problem with new Cue Cat...

Post by monks1975 »

I bought a USB Barcode Reader (Cue Cat UPC Scanner) from ebay to use with DVDpedia, but its functionality is sporadic- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

When I first plugged it into my 10.5.2 Leopard running Mac Mini, up popped a keyboard driver wizard. As it was not a keyboard, I ignored this, was I right to do this?

The only other reasons I can think of why it isn't working are either dodgy hardware or DVDpedia not supporting this particular scanner. It's the unencrypted one I believe.

Best,

Jon
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi John,

You did the correct thing in ignoring the keyboard driver wizard that asked you to press the left shift key. DVDpedia works with both kinds of Cue Cats but if yours is the unencrypted type there really is nothing for DVDpedia to do, your Cue Cat should work with all programs as it pretends to be a keyboard and sends keyboard commands (Scanning into TextEdit you can verify if it's encrypted or unencrypted). So any sporadic functionality would be from the Cue Cat itself, as DVDpedia does nothing but wait for keystrokes in the find window. Speaking of which be sure to download the new version 4.1.3 that has audio feedback when "add first result automatically" preference is enabled and a new multiple add window where you can scan rapidly without waiting for the search to finish if you have a slow connection.

Conor
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

The CueCat is not entirely reliable. One has to be fairly careful with speed of scanning, going in a straight line, etc. I have often needed to run it two or three times across the bar code to make it work. And DVD bar codes are harder to scan than books. They are on glossy paper and often crammed right up against the edge, both of which add to the difficulty.

I would experiment a little, and see how you go.

Also, it is probably speedier to scan into a text file and then paste this file into the Search window of a Pedia (only one line appears, but they are all actually entered) rather than scanning one at a time into the Search window.