CDPedia - Some questions

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
PascalB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

CDPedia - Some questions

Post by PascalB »

Hi everybody,

I am a relatively new user of CDPedia and I have some questions to ask :wink:

Could you tell me how to have a link automatically attached to an artist or to a group :?:
When I have 15 CDs of the same artist, it is boring to input manually the web adress for each :?

Could you also explain to me how to have the CDs sorted by Artist name, of course, but ALSO by original release date to make me able to have the discography of each artist well sorted in order :?:

Thank you for your help and sorry about my english :wink:
Siriosys
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: CDPedia - Some questions

Post by Siriosys »

Hi PascalB,

I think there may be a bug in the system in that it doesn't allow you to edit multiple entries using the right-click context menu. However, this doesn't completely foil your plans.

Highlighting multipe entries and using "Edit CD.." from the context menu does work in the 'Table view', however, below this is how I did it in Thumbnail view.

To edit multiple entries, from within the 'Thumbnails view' I found the easiest way is as follows:

While holding down the Command key, click on each album you wish to edit - keep clicking until you've selected all albums you want
Next, click on the Edit menu
Select 'Edit CD..." from the menu
Note that the appearing dialog box title now reads "Edit Multiple Entries"
Next, select and edit the fields you want to update
Viola!
Go back into your collection and you'll see all the entries you selected have now been updated.

The sorting works as follows, according to the help text.

//Quote//
You can also sort by multiple columns to a depth of 6 columns. When you change column, it sub-sorts by what was last sorted so you want to click on the columns in reverse order i.e. if you want to sort your collection by Title, Artist and My Rating, sort the Title column first, then Artist, then My Rating; the sorting will now be My Rating, and where those are equal Artist, and where those are equal Title.//quote//

Hope that helps.
PascalB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by PascalB »

Many thanks to you :!:

My problem is that the "Edit Multiple Entries" doesn't work to edit Links. It's only for current fields.

About the sort, it works well to sort by multiple columns but in alphabetic or numeric order. What I am looking for, is how to sort Albums in a chronologic order to obtain for each artist its discography from the firt album to the last.

For the time being, the only solution I have found is to dedicated a field to store the number of the album in the chronology to make me able to sort it.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The Links aren't part of the multiple edit but you can copy paste links. So for the quickest way, open the Edit window/Links tab for one entry, add the link then copy it and click the next button to go to the next entry, hit paste and keep going until you have added the links to all the entries you want.

To sort your collection chronologically by artist, you have to first sort the release date column then the artist column. The release date column will be sorted numerically (by date) and the artist alphabetically chronologically, based on the release date column.

If that doesn't work for you, send us an email with a screenshot of your sorted collection so we can take a look at the problem.