originalTitle AKA WTF?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

originalTitle AKA WTF?

Post by sitenoise »

I am stumped.

Where does the info for Original Title come from (assuming IMDb is at the top of the Cascade)?

How does that info relate to the Also Known As field in a standard IMDb entry?

I have cleared that field and gotten Advance Info and nothing comes down.

What I want (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?) is for eg.:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758742/

OPTION #1
Desu nôto to be in the regular title field and Death Note to be in an Also Known As Field ... I assume I would have to tweak this in the html template:
<!--IFcustom2
<span class="title">[translate:custom2]: </span>
<span class="text"><ahref="http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=[key:Also known As]">[key:custom2]</span>
<br>ENDcustom2-->

OPTION #2
Have Desu nôto come down in the Original Title Field and let me put Death Note title in the Title Field.

Can you see what I'm getting at? This seems so obvious I can't believe I don't understand it, or it is not implemented properly! I think it's the former because I have read what seem like the relevant posts in this forum and I just don't get it.

help!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You are correct that we have yet to implement the AKA in the IMDb plug-in. Other users are also waiting for that update and I will add it for the next version, I won't make you wait 4 years. :wink: We will be implementing option 2 as it is what most users have requested.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Ciao Conor,
as I think you're putting your hands on the imdb plugin, will you add the search by original title feature?
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Haunting me

Post by sitenoise »

I think this one will haunt me for a while, like 'math-block' or something. If i understand you, what is now coming down from IMDb as Title will be dumped into Original title? Leaving the present Title Field empty? Or will IMDb's title go into both places? (methinks this might get spongey in an upgrade situation)

Are you going to ignore the Also Known As field from IMDb for now? Or am I missing something?

I guess I'm wondering if the Add/Edit template is tweak-able and if the IMDb API (?) allows for tapping into every discreet field available. Something like that.

I see all the articles for tweaking the Info and Export Templates, but seem to be missing how/if you can change the Add/Edit template. I think I'm in over my head.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

seem to be missing how/if you can change the Add/Edit template
You can change the fields for the Add/Edit window and their order in the Preferences > Fields. Just uncheck those fields you're not interested in and drag them into the position where you want them to appear in the window. If you want to move them to a different tab, use the drop down to the right of the field name. (Here you can also change the fields shown in the info view and full screen mode details view.)
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

Thanks, Nora. I got that part of the tweaking. I was wondering about getting into the code part of it like you can do with info and export. So that if I add an AKA custom field I could then tell it to go get that information from the IMDb ...

... but that begs my other question, as part of OPTION #1 above, of if the IMDb API (this is over my head, so I'm winging it) is such that, for instance, in the Info Template one could:

<!--IFcustom2
<span class="text"><ahref="http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=[key:Also known As]">[key:custom2]</span>
<br>ENDcustom2-->

I mean, I've tried that and noting happened, so ....
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Our plug-ins are open and can be modified. They are Cocoa plug-ins and you will need to know Cocoa or at least some programming (to figure out the code) and also have the developer tools installed. You can then change the plug-in so that it moves information to custom2 and then use those fields. If you want more instructions on how to do that let me know. IMDb is actually one of the more complicated ones, and the code is not pretty, if you don't have programming experience it's going to be very hard.

If we are able to import that information for the next version you will be able to create the link you want, but I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, as a search on the title should be the same as a search for the AKA. With the next version the AKA will be the title as the original title will be in the original title field. Since there is no AKA field the key you have in the above code will not work, if you have that information in custom2 the key should also be custom2.

Code: Select all

<!--IFcustom2 
<span class="text"><a href="http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=[key:custom2]">[key:custom2]</span> 
<br>ENDcustom2--> 
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: originalTitle AKA WTF?

Post by sitenoise »

Conor, fyi, here's where I'm coming from on this one:

When I drag an IMDb URL to dvdpedia, it puts the original title into Title Field. In my case anything that is non-english, like, Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom for example, is troublesome. So, now, I copy that and paste it into the OriginalTitle Field and then type the English title into the Title Field. (I also copy the English title into my CustomAKA field ... for reasons that I'll explain later*) (btw - this is where that Add Button/OK button thing gets me)

So in the new version, if possible, the IMDb plug-in will put the original title into the OriginalTitle Field? OK

When you say "With the next version the AKA will be the title ...." Where will that information come from? With my example movie, Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom, it could be tricky if I understand you correctly.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374546/ There are a few AKA's, which is often the case when one has an interest in international cinema.

*The reason I redundently add the english title to the AKA field is because I put the AKA field at the extreme right end of the columns so that when I have to scroll over there because I want to sort by some other second-class-citizen column, like Date Added, or URL or Studio or myRating, it's nice to have the english title close by so I can tell what I', looking at without having to scroll back and forth.

Having said all that, and having developed a pretty good workflow, I am happy with the way things are working now. :)
Conor
Top Dog

Re: originalTitle AKA WTF?

Post by Conor »

The issue you bring up is why we have so much trouble in integrating the original title field with the IMDb plug-in. Since the listing is backwards, AKA is actually the opposite of original title, it's hard to know the correct information. We would move "Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom" to the original title, that is the easy part. Figuring out the title in your language and if it needs to be moved is the hard part. There is a lot of complexity involved for a computer to figure this out because there are so many options and possibilities for what is listed in AKA and the computer is not good at figuring out what language a title is in. For a human language is not a problem.