I wish we had .Mac sync

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
z0mbi3
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

I wish we had .Mac sync

Post by z0mbi3 »

Hi!

I *really* wish we had .Mac sync so we could sync our libraries between our macs.
I'm talking about a really robust Sync Services based feature.
The "save library to iDisk hack" is "weak" because one needs to close the app on the other end or the database fries (or am I wrong?). Another problem is that iDisk access is SLOW for us with puny internet access :(
I really don't need to sync *everything*, I'd be happy with a couple of fields that would let be fill the details on the other side (no sense in syncing the covers, for instance). OH, and of course, sync the borrowed status as well...
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE implement this ;)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thanks for the suggestion, it's something we would like to do.

The program checks the modification date on the database before writing to it and reloads it if necessary. I personally have only tested concurrent access on a shared hard drive. iDisk works through WebDAV and looks like a hard drive to the computer, however I am not sure about the date synchronization between the computers. It could be that the modification date comes from the computer and if one computer lags behind the other with the date, one program might thing the database hasn't changed and overwrite the recent changes, the smart thing to do would be to let the iDisk decide the date and this is most likely the case. However, this is not taking into account that the Mac uses a caching mechanism on the iDisk to speed up access. I am paranoid individual and I would side with you and close the program, or at least make a backup and watch it carefully during a trial period.
z0mbi3
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by z0mbi3 »

Actually, this could be useful even for people with out .Mac!

I'm trying out MySync (something that can be used instead of Sync Services) and it is GREAT! Syncs on demand, works very well on Bonjour (or Rendezvous, I don't remember the right name these days) or over the internet. It is GREAT! Just google it.

PS-I am in NO WAY affiliated with MySync's maker or distributed, just plainly happy with the product :D
tsbecker
Inductee
Inductee

Post by tsbecker »

Yes, please!

Sometimes I wonder why we have two computers since we can never quite figure out which information to keep on which computer. Files can be synchronized, but database applications are more troublesome.

This is at the top of my list now when considering new software.

Tim
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted »

I have a feeling the really well implemented .Mac synching is a very hard thing to do, as even Apple hasn't quite gotten it right for address book, bookmarks, etc.

What would make sense to me is better shared disk support -- having a locking mechanism so that accidental overwrites don't happen if multiple computers are using ***Pedia at the same time with a shared database.

Ted
Ænima
Inductee
Inductee

This would solve the problem

Post by Ænima »

I don't know if any of you have been checking out My Dream App but there's a sweet looking sync app on there called Portal. It's the best idea for a sync app I've come across and I've looked just about everywhere. Anyway, the contest is almost over but if you have a minute you should run over there and check out Portal and vote for it (it's on the brink right now and could go either as to whether it gets made or not).

My personal recommendation would be to just make the one vote for Portal so it has more of an effect and gives it a chance to win!

http://mydreamapp.com/contestants/view/farzadsadjadi/ there's the link.

Another fairly good sync app is ChronoSync. If you need something right away I'd go with this. Here's the link. http://www.econtechnologies.com/site/Pa ... rview.html

And no, I get nothing if Portal wins (other than to be able to buy it once it's done). I just really like it.