Printing book Labels with LCCN numbers

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
thjelu
Inductee
Inductee

Printing book Labels with LCCN numbers

Post by thjelu »

Greeting,

I have a medium size library, and really need to print labels for my book. Would it be possible to enable BookPedia to print labels in the future, preferably with LCCN number? If it could print the owners name, and the year it was published also, you would have a unique product since I don’t think this is offered by your competition.
I also would like to see a Windows version, so I can carry my library back and forth and use it on my PC at work, and my MAC at home.

Thanks for considering it.
blambert

Post by blambert »

I'd like to see this feature too. Perhaps the LCCN numbers can easily be exported to some Avery-type label template?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

One of the printing templates could be customized to fit Avery labels and to include the fields you find most important. What are the most common Avery label sizes that you would use? We can whip up a template and include it with the programs for customization of the fields so you don't have to worry about the layout.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Here is a post on how to go about changing a template for printing as well as an included simple template to start from.
blambert

Post by blambert »

Thank you. I didn't see your reply until just now. I will try to look into a good size Avery-type label for this over the next few weeks. Another matter that may make printing these slightly more complicated is that I guess there is a specified format for the lines of the LOC number. Like:

LB
C.65

http://www.lib.ksu.edu/help/lccn.html

Dewey decimal numbers might be easier to print, I'm not sure.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Printing the LCCN with each section on a new line is going to be almost impossible; as it comes to us from the LOC and other z39.50 servers on a single line. If you can live with the LCCN number on a single line you also get to print thinner labels. Both format are acceptable, I think the tall format is in order to place the label on the spines in the proper orientation. I would print a small thin label and place it on the book following the general title and author orientation (in English this would be top to bottom in other languages it's bottom to top).
blambert

Post by blambert »

I guess you would need some kind of conditional formatting to get the lines to break at the LOC-specified locations. Assuming it's HTML-based, perhaps a little Javascript could do the trick. Worst case, I suppose one could export the LCCN numbers to an Excel spreadsheet and write a VBScript to reformat them...