Export linked files (ie. PDFs) to HTML: Bookpedia

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
live4ever
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Export linked files (ie. PDFs) to HTML: Bookpedia

Post by live4ever »

Is there a way currently to export to html with the linked files, say a PDF of an eBook, to the folder or the web? So when you click on the book the linked PDF would open in the browser or is downloaded.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

At the moment only files that are already online are linked to exported entries (links that start with http:/ or ftp:/ ...). I will look at including your feature request in the next version.

Update: The feature has been included.
Last edited by Conor on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
escargot
Inductee
Inductee

Post by escargot »

This would be good. I have a few ebooks in my Bookpedia collection, and the PDF files are linked. So I'm able to view them on the local computer, but it doesn't work out of the box for the HTML export. But I really wanted it, so here's the procedure (I have a shell script that does most of this automatically).

1. Quit Bookpedia, and directly edit the Database.pediadata file to change all file:// links to http://
2. Open Bookpedia, export to HTML
3. Quit Bookpedia, fix the Database.pediadata
4. Edit the HTML files to fix the locations of the links relative to the locations of the PDF files
5. Upload the new HTML files

So it's possible to work with the current export feature (and it's a testament to the flexibility of Bookpedia that it can be done at all!), but it's not optimal.

It would be nice to have the export done automatically by Bookpedia, however, this brings up a problem: My ebook files are over 100MB (and I know people who have way, way more than that). If Bookpedia were have to duplicate and reupload them on each export, it would be troublesome. So you'd need a way to keep track of which library items have been modified and only export the changed HTML files and attachments.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

With the new version 4.0.8 you can add a command to your export template file so that local links get included; open your favorite export template and add this line near the top:

Code: Select all

<meta name="includeLocalLinks" content="yes" />
Your local PDFs will now be put into a sub folder called files in the export and the links created relative to the location of the HTML files.

Does leave uploading a large number of PDFs, I will look at including the files folder in the integrated update capability based on modification date that is used when updating .Mac. In the meantime any good uploading program will do a synchronize based on the modification dates of the files.