Imdb theatrical date retrieval

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
carmenm
Contributor
Contributor

Imdb theatrical date retrieval

Post by carmenm »

Hi,

First i like DvdPedia a lot. I dont really use to store all infos on my dvds but just info on the movie.

So i use the wishlist to store film i want to see. So the theatrical date is very important to me, yet it doesnt seem to be correctly retrieved from imdb. The year is correct but the day and month are those from the day i add the entry.
Is this normal?
EDIT : i think it s because the date is after the current date

EDIT: just found out that the plot is not recovered either from imdb
example: http://imdb.com/title/tt0800039/

thanks
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

At the moment the IMDb plug-in only returns the release year, not the full date. In that case, when the program is only given the release year, it fills the day and month with the current date. Normally, theatrical only shows the release year. Will update the plug-in in the next version to retrieve the entire release date. Thank you for pointing that out.
The IMDb plug-in never retrieves the summary because they are written by different people and might be copyrighted so the plug-in doesn't download that information. However if you are familiar with programming you can create your own version of the plug-in that does, as well as retrieves information for your custom composer fields and the producer links that were mentioned on your other posts.
carmenm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by carmenm »

I am familiar with development. Where i can i get the source for the imdb source plugin?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We haven't added an official page yet. But you can download the source from here.

This plug-in is probably our most complicated one. The method you are going to be most interested in is resultNumber: this is where the details for a movie are gathered. The easiest way to extract data is with the following code, this is just an example I haven't looked at the page:

NSString *possibleComposer = [results stringBetween:@"Composer:" and:@"</a"];
possibleComposer = [possibleComposer stringBetween:@">" and:@"<"]; //An example of cleaning the string further
[resultsDict setValue:possibleComposer forKey:MKKeyEntryCustomOne];

To make debugging easier the project comes with a script that adds the plug-in to the program, however it expects the programs to be in the same folder that the plug-in is built to. So place copies of DVDpedia inside the plug-in folder at ../Products/Release and ../Products/Debug. You can also select "Custom Executable" from under the Project menu and select the DVDpedia in the Debug folder; this way you can use command-y (debug) in debug mode to launch the program with the debugger from the plug-in for testing.

To add the final plug-in to a regular DVDpedia it goes in DVDpedia.app/Contents/Plug-ins.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

Conor, if you put the plugin as suggested, won't it get deleted on an update?

You sent me a revised plugin once, and told me to put it in a Plugins folder inside my database folder, which avoids this.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You are correct that the plug-in inside the program would be overwritten in an update and it's better to keep custom version in ~/Library/Application Support/ProgramName/Plug-ins. In this case I recommended the program folder because it's a plug-in that ships with the program and if you don't change the name then the plug-in inside the program loads before the one in the data folder. So carmenm if you place the plug-in in the data folder be sure to remove the plug-in with the same name from inside the program.