Multiple Genre/Language/etc. entries

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Beringar
Inductee
Inductee

Multiple Genre/Language/etc. entries

Post by Beringar »

When importing from IMDB, DVDPedia only stores the first entry of a multiple entry field; e.g. for 'Lord of War' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399295/ only 'Crime' is stored in the 'Genre' field, but not 'Drama'. The same is true for example for the 'Country' entry, where only 'France' is stored, as well as for other fields.

What I'd like to see, is to have the possibility to add multiple Strings to a data field.

BTW, to put in "Crime / Drama" is not really a workaround, as "Crime", "Drama" and "Crime / Drama" are different entities when looking on the statistics dialog.

Apart from that, DVDPedia is a great application. Thx for your efforts.

Rgds

Thomas
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Multiple Genre/Language/etc. entries

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. In the new version I have updated the plug-in to download all the countries information. We have plans to make certain fields token based as you suggest, but we are still testing out the user reaction to that type of field with the "tags" field as well as making sure it works with all our features including the statistics the way it should. In the meantime use the comma as a separator as that way if we change the field "Crime, Drama" will automatically become two tags, as comma is the native separator for token fields.
FromOZ
Captain
Captain

Post by FromOZ »

Conor wrote:In the meantime use the comma as a separator as that way if we change the field "Crime, Drama" will automatically become two tags, as comma is the native separator for token fields.
Re: my recent posting and your point above. If I have many (and we're talking hundreds) of movies where I have used format of "genreA/genreB" to have multi-genre entries how can I change these, at a database query level instead of labouriously one-by-one in DVDpedia, to format "genreA, genreB". Are there any reasonable free SQLite clients for OS X you know of I can use to run an update query? (on a file copy naturally 8) )
Ben.d

Post by Ben.d »

Conor wrote:We have plans to make certain fields token based as you suggest, but we are still testing out the user reaction to that type of field with the "tags" field as well as making sure it works with all our features including the statistics the way it should. In the meantime use the comma as a separator as that way if we change the field "Crime, Drama" will automatically become two tags, as comma is the native separator for token fields.
Hi,

Do you plan to use this feature for authors and illustrators too (in Bookpedia) ? If so, I will apply your tip for them...

Thanks,

Benjamin
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

As users get used to the token field we would like to use them in all the places where multiple entries make sense. For now don't worry about the slash separation, in fact continue to use it, since it's your preferred method. When the new field arrives we can worry about it then, by then there might be an internal search and replace function or the field might handle slashes as separators as well. In the worst case scenario it can be done with one SQL command with the Terminal on the database file directly. I do know of one free GUI tool but it seems it does not have the find replace command and you have to end up composing the query. If you do go for the SQL query now remember Core Data prefixes z to the fields so it would be:

Code: Select all

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/DVDpedia/Database.dvdpd
update ZENTRY Set ZGENRE = replace(ZGENRE, '/', ', ');
.exit
Always remember to make a backup copy of your Database.dvdpd file before you start!
FromOZ
Captain
Captain

Post by FromOZ »

Conor wrote:In the worst case scenario it can be done with one SQL command with the Terminal on the database file directly.
Done - no problems.
Conor wrote:Always remember to make a backup copy of your Database.pediadata file before you start!
Backups? :roll: Ah... c'mon live dangerously. "Back up my hard drive? How do I put it in reverse? ~Author Unknown" Quote Garden.

p.s. I did a backup :lol: