DVDpedia: IMDB not loading all tags

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
drbarrys

DVDpedia: IMDB not loading all tags

Post by drbarrys »

Hello,

IMDB is not loading all the available tags anymore. It seems to only load the first 5.

I do notice that the IMDB webpage has changed in how it displays what we call tags, and in fact, there is some new language there that now call tags as "plot keywords".

On the iPad app, they are called "keywords" in one area and yet in another area they are called "plot keywords" and are now divided into categories such as "subgenres" and "plot timeframes".

So obviously IMDB is going through a big change here!

Be that as it may, I use tags extensively in DVDpedia and have many smart collections based on them, so hoping this can be looked into, very soon.

Thanks!
PS: running the latest production version, not a beta.
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: DVDpedia: IMDB not loading all tags

Post by FineWine »

Please try the latest beta version. All the beta's are very stable, just understand that they do not fix the current amazon problems.

https://bruji.com/beta/
drbarrys

Post by drbarrys »

I have installed the latest beta version and again, only 5 tags load. Thanks.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

I think Conor has placed a restriction on the number of Tags/Keywords due to the fact that people, myself included, contribute these Tags and IMDb allows upto 50 Keywords.

In my opinion 10 would be plenty enough to describe the content of a movie. Of course you have the main descriptors in the actual Genre area where IMDb only allows a max of 5.

Here some superfluous Keywords I have came across for Asteroid City: 1950s, year 1955, timeframe 1950's, Stargazer, Desert, Arizona Desert, fake cactus and then they have really gone overboard with: female full frontal nudity, female nudity, female topless nudity, graphic full female nudity, full female nudity in pg movie, full frontal nudity (spelling mistakes included, so IMDb does not regularly audit this area)
adamhh
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by adamhh »

Certainly IMDB has changed how it interfaces with tags (keywords). I love tags and use them extensively. Since IMDB's shift, I've simply changed my workflow when entering data. It used to be that DVDPedia imported all tags (keywords) and I'd then go through them all, deleting most, then alphabetising the ones left. Like Finewine, I find great redundancy in IMDB keywords (and Genres for that matter, which very often get confused with tags my IMDB users, in my experience).

My workflow now means manually entering the tags not automatically downloaded, by going through the IMDB list. I actually find it faster than the previous method and less prone to introducing errors into my database. Before I was having to go through Preferences>Tags to clean up all the redundant tags that had been automatically accumulated over time. I now don't have to do this anywhere near as much.