Multile Regions, Box sets, Total disc count

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
DrPaul
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Multile Regions, Box sets, Total disc count

Post by DrPaul »

Hi there,

I have migrated my data from DVDProfiler into 3.0.2 and noticed that most of my discs were being imported as Region 2 instead of Region 2/4.

[BTW I couldn't get import from the 2.5 beta version of DVDProfiler into 3.0.1 of DVDpedia. So I downgraded one and upgraded the other and then it seemed to work.]

Can you add the ability to have more than one region for a DVD ? The majority of my discs are from New Zealand or Australia and are encoded as Region 2/4. I also have a DVD from Eddie Izzard which claims to be Region 2-6 !

I'd also like some way for the total number of discs to be displayed. I have 75 Box sets and 2 of them have over 30 DVDs each!

These 2 box sets themselves are a problem and I had difficulty with them in DVD Profiler...
One box set is Inspector Morse: each DVD in the box has its own bar code so a DVD title in its own right but it is contained in a box set.

Maybe the folder metaphor used in the Finder when in List mode.

Conversely I have the complete Buffy Box set which is 39 discs... it would be nice to be able to have an entry for each disc so I can have episode information and not have them appear in the list of titles.

I guess in the interim I can use the link mechanism and fiddle with the Collection ID and number of discs.

One last thing is having someway of overriding the sorting done on title... like a separate text field used for sorting... e.g. The title of the X Files box sets uses words for the season number which means they are sorted into non-season order which is a little annoying. It is easy to fix by changing the title into numbers but then means the title is not the original one.

Finally thanks for such a great application. It is such a relief to be able to get data from an Australian source; even DVDProfiler's database was deficient in some areas. And thank goodness for the import feature from DVDProfiler as some of my DVDs in my collection are not on the web anywhere and it would have been a pain to scan the covers and enter data again.

Regards

Paul.
DrPaul
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DrPaul »

:oops: Just spotted the Status Bar view: Show Discs.

Very cool.
KiplingCat
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by KiplingCat »

Where do I find the Status Bar view? Under "Window" all I see is Table View, Cover View, Info View, Info View Style, and Full Screen Mode. :?
Nadsat
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Nadsat »

KiplingCat wrote:Where do I find the Status Bar view? Under "Window" all I see is Table View, Cover View, Info View, Info View Style, and Full Screen Mode. :?
Go to Preferences / Other and you'll find it. :)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you Paul for taking the time to write about features you would find useful. It is always the most detailed description that are of the most use to us. There are plans or at least ideas to implement solutions to some of your features, but details still need to be worked out. Early on we wanted to move to a table view that has the little arrow from the finder list mode to handle box sets. This for Apple is called an outline view, however we found it buggy. So we tried to solve box sets with the linking mode. However the outline view has improved in Tiger and hopefully it will again in Leopard and it might once again become a possibility. With Apple's dedication to their OS and our knowledge growing daily all kinds of exciting things become possible. :P
live4ever
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by live4ever »

I've been playing around with Interface Builder trying to figure out a way to get and display info about boxsets (TV series mainly now) and the discs with episodes on them. I'm not sure if it's possible from a Cocoa programming perspective with the way I've got the drawer and the tab view set - but I'll post it here when I'm done to see what you think.

Movie boxsets like Alien Quadrilogy - Die Hard - Indiana Jones would need something a bit different but shouldn't be too bad.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Are you reading the DVDpedia database info.xml file into your application or are you simply doing a standalone UI test? If your into Cocoa it wouldn't be hard to read the info.xml from DVDpedia for you application. Even better you could make your UI a plugin for DVDpedia. You could call it up from DVDpedia and it would bring up your UI window for the collection.