Editing/Reporting wrong entries in database

A place for Doghouse related posts.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Editing/Reporting wrong entries in database

Post by Nora »

Ah, you're talking about the Doghouse website. Sorry I thought you meant the search in DVDpedia directly. You're right that it's limited to 25 entries at the moment but I'll talk to Conor and Alex about changing that.

EDIT: We're going to update the whole Doghouse site to Rails in the future (Alex is honing his skills at the moment building the moderator section) and then the results will be expanded. For now, if there are too many results when searching on the Doghouse site directly try narrowing it down with an additional keyword such as the director's name. For example instead of searching for "The Road", use "The Road Jiarui".
maisry

Post by maisry »

I'm new and just discovered the Doghouse page. NOW I see why SO MANY entries that I received were incomplete or incorrect. Can I report bad entries to a moderator without becoming a moderator myself?

Another question: When I received an entry that didn't match my CD, I simply changed and added the correct info on my database entry. Now I see that there's a link in my Extras to the original bad entry. Do I have to go back through all 530 items and verify these before I contribute my collections to Doghouse? Can I just delete all of those urls? How to do all at once?

Okay, that was more than "another" question.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

We don't have a 'flag' feature in Doghouse for users who don't want to become moderators but that's a good idea for the future, thanks.

You can delete all of the URLs in one batch if you want by selecting all entries and then opening the Edit window and checking the box next to the (blank) URL field. But if you edited these entries because they were wrong on Doghouse then please do consider signing up as a moderator so that you can mirror these entries instead of just contributing them. The difference is when you contribute an entry (which already has a Dogtag since you downloaded it originally through Doghouse) the changes won't be included since contributions don't overwrite existing data. So only data that you've added into fields that were previously blank will be added to the entry. When you mirror an entry on the other hand, an option you only have as a moderator, then any changes you have made to the entry will be uploaded to the Doghouse as is, thus improving the entry for everyone.

There is no commitment to being a moderator. You don't have to do a certain quota of fixes or anything like that. You simply get some more power over fixing errors. :)
Forticus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Forticus »

Hello,

about contribution:

there were mistakes within my first contribution (5 german books). I managed to correct some by "mirror selection". Some remain:
- one author's first name is Markus and the surname Walther. With one book I had the two wrong around and corrected it. The online search does find "Walther", not Markus: http://doghouse.bruji.com/book/149207
His second book is not found by name at all, only by titel: http://doghouse.bruji.com/book/149208

A third book was contributed with english entries in genre and subjects. The "mirror selection" corrected the genre but didn't change the subjects field. Entries remain english: http://doghouse.bruji.com/book/149204

copyright:
I didn't like the results of covers captured from handheld books by iSight. Then I found the context menu and borrowed some covers from Google. As long as I keep them within my database, no one should worry, probably. But what about uploading borrowed images to the doghouse?

about moderation:

I thought to moderate with English column headers. However, I didn't find a way to switch my localization from German back to English. There are some field names that I am not sure about:
- is Creator (en) the Idee (de)?,
- is "release date" the date of the first edition/issue of the original (whatever language) book or the year of this particular book?
- edition (en) may differ from Edition (de),
- the translation/meaning of "edition" and "issue" to german (Ausgabe, Auflage)?
- the field "nummer" (de).
- the field "Series" (en) and "Serie" (de). Intuitively I would put "Goldfinger" as and "James Bond" into series.

My first glance on a collection "to approve" (locale:de) :
- dimensions of several german books given in inches (should I delete such entries?)
- some year in "release date" while the field "Ausgabe" states some more recent date or a variaty of unidentifiable things,
- one book: Titel: some english words, Price: Yen, Genre: "Sachbuch", Summary: "... Buch in japanisch/englisch ..." (=written in japanese/english)
If the latter one is changed to locale (en) and the field entries translated into english, the contributor at some date might not be amused in case he will find this online or even "mirrors down" to his computer. What to do?
powergirl218
Contributor
Contributor

Post by powergirl218 »

Forticus wrote:My first glance on a collection "to approve" (locale:de) :
- dimensions of several german books given in inches (should I delete such entries?)
Good question. What about that?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

@Forticus:
The online search does find "Walther", not Markus: http://doghouse.bruji.com/book/149207
His second book is not found by name at all, only by titel: http://doghouse.bruji.com/book/149208
One of the books had the language locale set as en (Kleine Scheißhausgeschichten) while the other was de. The search automatically shows you only results in your locale language unless you ask for a title specifically (to avoid flooding users with useless results in a language they might not speak). I've fixed the locale for Kleine Scheißhausgeschichten to reflect de now as well.
A third book was contributed with english entries in genre and subjects. The "mirror selection" corrected the genre but didn't change the subjects field. Entries remain english: http://doghouse.bruji.com/book/149204
The subjects not being updated during a mirror has been fixed, thanks for letting us know.

re: moderation. Are you using the program(s) in English or German? (I see that you're signed up to moderate in German.) "Idee" is "Creator", yes. "Release date" is usually the date when that particular edition was released but since Bookpedia doesn't have a dedicated Copyright field, some users keep the original release date in this field. There is no hard and fast rule what's correct in this case. "Edition" is "Ausgabe", "Editor" is "Herausgeber" ("Publisher" is "Verlag"). It's a little tricky for the translation since editor can mean both "Lektor" and "Herausgeber" in German if I understand that right but we went with Herausgeber in this case. "Issue" translates to "Band" (more in terms of Comics). "Volume" is "Nummer" (again, for comic books or magazines mostly). "Series" is "Serie", applicable both to TV shows and movies if you like. (So for example 'James Bond' for movies or 'Dexter' for a TV series.)
- some year in "release date" while the field "Ausgabe" states some more recent date or a variaty of unidentifiable things,
You can delete the dimensions if they are in inches and you feel that's not useful to German speaking users. Edition is usually the number (2nd edition, etc.) but it could also read "Memorial Edition" or a user might enter the year of this particular edition if they use the Release date field for the original copyright. We don't have an absolute rule about how these two fields have to be used. In this case it is up to the moderators discretion what you feel looks right or makes more sense for other users. (For example, I could understand a user entering the original publication year for "The Hobbit" as 1937 but then entering "2nd ed. 1955" into the Edition field if that's the particular edition they have.)
- one book: Titel: some english words, Price: Yen, Genre: "Sachbuch", Summary: "... Buch in japanisch/englisch ..." (=written in japanese/english)
If the latter one is changed to locale (en) and the field entries translated into english, the contributor at some date might not be amused in case he will find this online or even "mirrors down" to his computer. What to do?
This depends a bit on the entry but if the majority of the fields are in German and the locale is de, then I would fix or if necessary delete whatever fields need to conform to that locale (i.e. the price for example) and leave the rest of the entry as is. If too many fields are jumbled with different languages or even coming from different entries (we've seen a few entries where two or more completely different movies/books were merged somehow) it is often easier to simply delete the entry from the database instead of trying to dissect it and figure out what's correct and what's not. We'd rather have quality than quantity in the end.
HenryMedina

Post by HenryMedina »

As a plan proposal, and I can't trust I'm recommending something outline shrewd from IMDb, yet I do like the manner in which they demonstrate the Original Title in a lighter dark and littler text style, and really include "(unique title)" to it.