New Users Online Library

A place for Doghouse related posts.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: New Users Online Library

Post by Waldbaer »

Hm, the question is what you call a "duplicate". If you don't accept DVD-entrys just because a 3D-BluRay has already been submitted, this does not sound very helpful to me. Anyways, that's of course your decision... in my library I have a correct entry, I just can't submit it for others and online, the wrong format is shown.
You said, you added a difference between CD and vinyl in the other thread, at least this (here DVD/BluRay of course) should be added here, too, I think, even if I'd prefer a solution that also considers different editions (if someone searches for the IMDB-number, he or she will still get matches of course, only more than one; btw also IMDB often has more than one match for the same movie and I don't find the differences... probably there are some TV episodes in there - could you also show the part in brackets for searches in IMDB like it itself does when you search there?).

And finally, can you explain to me the phenomenon mentioned above, that I made sure ASIN, UPC and IMDB don't match and it still reassigns the same dog tag?
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Waldbaer wrote: If you don't accept DVD-entrys just because a 3D-BluRay has already been submitted, this does not sound very helpful to me. ...at least this (here DVD/BluRay of course) should be added here, too
It is there already. Has been for a long time.
Waldbaer wrote: I think, even if I'd prefer a solution that also considers different editions (if someone searches for the IMDB-number, he or she will still get matches of course, only more than one;
Editions are extremly tricky. What would you consider an edition? Just the word edition in the title or some other criteria? How can we make sure a new entry is a different edition or just someone with the wrong data in some field? You can understand there is no unifying criteria for this like there is for Format (DVD, Blu-ray, etc).
Waldbaer wrote: And finally, can you explain to me the phenomenon mentioned above, that I made sure ASIN, UPC and IMDB don't match and it still reassigns the same dog tag?
I'd have to see your entry, can you send me the dcard to my bruji email please?

---

There are a couple of clarifications to be made here:

1. One thing is a match for a new entry, another is a match for a search
Waldbaer wrote:if someone searches for the IMDB-number, he or she will still get matches of course, only more than one;
This is also true of the Doghouse for a search, you will get multiple matches but for a submission, we match the most likely candidate, we don't want to send back a list to the user to choose from, it woudl confuse a lot of people and make submissions that much more cumbersome and the Doghouse would be poorer as a result because a lot of people won't bother submitting since it's "too much work".

Having said that, an idea might be that when we reach critical mass with our movie entries in Doghouse, if there is ambiguity on the match we might present the user with a list to pick from. This is just me talking, I'd have to discuss it with Conor before even bring it it up as a viable option because it would require a considerable rewrite of our submission code. I also don't like this idea too much becaue it's not seamless and would require the user to compare any entries that are ambigous matches and most people won't bother or might find it cumbersome.

2. As I said above, the distinction exists between DVD and Blu-ray in DVDpedia.

3. Extremely Accurate data is my dream for Doghouse, but to make sure this happens upon submission we would have to start limiting how people can use the pedias and we never want to do that. We would have to start by limiting formats for example (the media field) so that only the accepted ones are available. Then we'd move on to other fields. One of the greatest things about the pedias is their flexibility, people catalog all sorts of things with them and use them as they see fit, it's a very fine balance between offering such flexibility and making sure we have accurate data in the Doghouse.

I honestly believe this is where Moderators come in and make sure that the data is as accurate as possible (including ASIN, IMDb and UPC numbers). The more acccurate the data, the less false matches we'll get. And this is the part we're missing the most right now.

Lastly, there's always room for improvement so we listen to all your feedback. Please don't feel abandoned if we don't implement every request :D
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Waldbaer »

The problem concerning the acceptance of a new format of the same movie seems to be a special problem of my submission. That's quite appeasing to know for sure and I sent you the dcard via email.

The edition problem is really a little difficult; I'll have to think about that a little more and then post it as a feature request, I think (actually I started writing such a post already a few times, but I never finished it). This will need some discussion so a new thread will be better for this than this general one.

Thanks for your clarifications, I completely agree with your positions and am sure you'll be doing the best for us all. It's just always confusing to experience computers that don't seem to be able to follow the simple rules we think to have taught them. :)
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Thanks for the Dcard, Iron Man 3 is matching to the Blu-ray version because you have a UPC number (4010324200396) that is set for the Blu-ray version. You can see all the details for that movie in its edit page.

We don't yet have an easy way to search for titles by UPC in the Admin but I'll create another To-Do to add this so it's easier to troubleshoot these types of issues in the future.

Whenever you get a match that looks strange to you, the things to check are:

1. UPC
2. ASIN
3. IMDb

Apart of course from the obviuos of title and director, original title.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Waldbaer »

That's what I saw, too. Then I went to the Admin panel of the entry and removed my UPC from the list (since it obviously should not be there in the blu ray entry). I double-checked it, it was not there anymore when I reloaded the page after updating. But each time I wanted to recontribute my entry, the only effect was, that the UPC was readded to the same database entry instead of creating a new one. Probably I did not remove it again after my last try, that's why you found the match again.
What do I do wrong?
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

I've just added the ability to search UPC numbers for Moderators. In the DVDs UPC page just type in either a title or a UPC and the system will search both and return any matches.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Waldbaer wrote:What do I do wrong?
You're not doing anything wrong, your movie is being matched and it's adding your UPC to that match. I think you may have encountered an issue where it's returning the first match that does not match your media (DVD). Let me look at it some more to see how I can fix it.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

I've made some changes to the media matching in DVDpedia to make it more aggressive. This should take care of your Iron Man 3 issue.

Be sure to remove the UPC code from the existing Blu-ray version as you've done in the past before you submit it again or it will match that UPC. You should get a new dog tag for this entry.

Let me know how you fare.

Cheers.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Waldbaer »

I got a new one, so for this one everything's fine, I think. :)