So-called "summaries"

A place for Doghouse related posts.
napaxton
Contributor
Contributor

So-called "summaries"

Post by napaxton »

I note that lots of Doghouse book entries have a "Summary" field filled-in, but they are not actually completed with *summaries* of the works in question. The material in the field tends more toward a review (often not a great review—more of a I like it/I don't like it at length) than a summary.

I've been removing these putative summaries from doghouse entries, because my sense is that DogHouse is seeking to get something more akin to information than an opinion about the worth of the material. Is this what others do?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: So-called "summaries"

Post by Conor »

Thank you, indeed we would prefer a brief synopsis than an opinionated review. But many of the summaries are reviews or publisher blurbs on how great the item is.

Do keep in mind that removing it means the field is then empty and will take the summary from the next contribution to the item, which might again be a review. So if you add a quick summary it's better to mirror that update and it well lock the summary down (can only be changed via another explicit mirror), instead of leaving it open to be filled again.
napaxton
Contributor
Contributor

Re: So-called "summaries"

Post by napaxton »

OK. Good to know. I'll edit the summary field instead.