Pocketpedia2

Announcements, upcoming features,... (READ ME!)
Nora
Site Admin

Pocketpedia2

Post by Nora »

We finally managed to talk to someone at Amazon over the phone but unfortunately the news aren't good. Take a look at our blog for more.
ltcarter47
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Pocketpedia2

Post by ltcarter47 »

It is mentioned "for those of you that were able to acquire a copy of Pocketpedia2 during its short life at the App Store, be sure to keep it safe." Does this mean that PocketPedia2 will still sync with 4.5.5 of the Pedias? I figured with the new versions to fix search that it would not be the case....I am hopeful because of that statement...

I am very close to doing a major overhaul of my DVDPedia library to reflect the library on my media server I've been working on for the past few months. It would be nice to have that list on my phone.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We can't undo what is already out there. If you already own Pocketpedia2 it won't be removed from your iPhone and we won't remove the sync as that will only cause owners of Pocketpedia2 to mimic those using tethering on their iPhone (stuck with version iPhone OS 3.0) and continue to use the old version of DVDpedia for syncing.
ltcarter47
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by ltcarter47 »

Thank you for that!

I, in fact, was in that group of people with 3.0 for tethering until just recently. Just too many little things that convinced me to update ;)
lester.tnf
Inductee
Inductee

Post by lester.tnf »

Probably it is too simple. But considering that Amazon is not available in all the countries (like in Italy unfortunately or fortunately in this case), could Pocketpedia be distributed in this countries withot infringing any agreement. Books data in my Bookpedia database come from IBS and BOL and none from Amazon.
I red that othe similar software have the same issue with Amazon and they are working to have a release of theyr software "Amazon free", is that possible also for our one?
Thanks for a reply.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Pocketpedia cannot be distributed anywhere as long as the Desktop Pedias have access to Amazon since there is no way for Amazon to check whether you really only got your information from another source or if there is some Amazon info in there as well. But we're considering the option to go 'Amazon-free'. (It'll be quite a bit of work though and won't happen from one day to the next.)
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Nora wrote:Pocketpedia cannot be distributed anywhere as long as the Desktop Pedias have access to Amazon since there is no way for Amazon to check whether you really only got your information from another source or if there is some Amazon info in there as well. But we're considering the option to go 'Amazon-free'. (It'll be quite a bit of work though and won't happen from one day to the next.)
Hi Nora,

If you;ve read my other posts what I am about to say here may sound contradictory - but would not an Amazon-free *Pedia be a backward step? Alex has convinced me that Amazon's API is the best and most useful (even more so than my preferred IMDb source) so if you made the desktop Pedias Amazon-free just in order to support the continuance of Pocketpedia2, would that not be a case of the tail wagging the dog? The desktop Pedias are surely the most important to the majority of your users - Pocketpedia is nice to have but it's not the main event.

I don't source any movie information any more from Amazon, relying instead on IMDb which I still see as the definitive movie database source (maybe wrongly in light of Alex's comments) so an Amazon-free version wouldn't be a problem for me - but surely it would for all the other *pedia users?

Kind regards,

Keith
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Obviously we wouldn't simply take Amazon away and leave the Pedias with nothing - we'd replace Amazon with something better and more reliable, such as our own database. Which is why going 'Amazon-free' would take quite some time since the database and its interface have to be set up and then populated with information. So that's more of a long-term idea, not an immediate fix for the situation.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

If you didn't get a chance to download Pocketpedia or Pocketpedia2 during their short-lived lives, on our blog we've listed a few alternative options of viewing your Pedia collections on the iPhone and iPod touch.
mthegrk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mthegrk »

unfortunatley i was one of those that deleted pocketpedia2 from my ipod (albeit accidentally), but never saved the app. I am all in favor of an 'Amazon-free' version of the app as an interim placeholder for something more robust down the line since i use IMDB exclusivley. The app was one of the reasons I purchased all the pedias, so here is hoping we can get something back in the iTunes store in limited form.
jjardoino
Inductee
Inductee

Post by jjardoino »

Hi,
What's the last version of Pedia which is able to synchronize with Pocketpedia2 on iPhone ? I made a mistake, updated to 4.5.5 and didn't keep older versions. Is there a way to download older versions ?
Thanks
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

jjardoino wrote:Hi,
What's the last version of Pedia which is able to synchronize with Pocketpedia2 on iPhone ? I made a mistake, updated to 4.5.5 and didn't keep older versions. Is there a way to download older versions ?
Thanks
I'm on the 'ultra-latest' version of DVDpedia (4.5.5 Beta 15) and that synchs just fine with Pocketpedia2. If you're unable to synch my guess is that the issue isn't your Pedia version being 4.5.5 but something else. What happens when you attempt a synch?

Do you perhaps have a Time Machine backup which will let you go back to an earlier Pedia version if you want to? (Although as I say, I don't think this is the real issue).

Kind regards,

Keith
jjardoino
Inductee
Inductee

Post by jjardoino »

Thanks very much, Keith, you're totally right. I don't know why, after I read the forum, I searched in the Mac app to find something about iPhone, and I didn't try to sync from the iPhone... I feel stupid :-)

Thanks again.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

jjardoino wrote:Thanks very much, Keith, you're totally right. I don't know why, after I read the forum, I searched in the Mac app to find something about iPhone, and I didn't try to sync from the iPhone... I feel stupid :-)

Thanks again.
My pleasure. Glad it's working for you.

Kind regards,

Keith
steve
Inductee
Inductee

Post by steve »

I just went to install on the app on my wife's new iPod and found it it was no longer available. Have you considered removing Amazon from the search list so that the app can be re-posted in the app store. I know I wouldn't miss it there are plenty of other sources to pull from.