Bruji 2020 Roadmap - What's Next

Announcements, upcoming features,... (READ ME!)
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Bruji 2020 Roadmap - What's Next

Post by DanThe »

WWDC20 has started and we now know that macOS will be called Big Sur plus that the version number will be 11.0 in addition to the start of the transition from Intel processors to Apple Silicon processors.

I was going to ask about the Bruji roadmap a few months ago but decided to wait to see what Apple Keynote would deliver and I can say that this one was not boring like the last 3-4 keynote presentations.

To say that this changes everything is an understatement. It would be nice to hear what Conor has to say about the Apple direction and how this will impact the Bruji development for 2020.
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Bruji 2020 Roadmap - What's Next

Post by FineWine »

Rosetta 2 will make it easier on users during this change over phase. It will also enable developers time using Universal 2 application binaries to enable them to start transitioning today over a 2 year period. The new and even more powerful Xcode12 some developers can have their app transitioned in a matter of days.

Not being a programmer myself but from what I have read it seems that with Xcode12 you virtually just tell Xcode what device you are writing and compiling for and it does the rest but I am probably over simplifying this. What I do know it will make things easier for them.
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

Yes it would seem Apple have been hard at work to make the transition as painless as possible but Conor will be the juge and jury regarding that. Still an exciting time for the macOS where it will be on par with the other OS' code wise. Also impressive is the Developer Transition Kit hardware program which consists of a Mac Mini with an A12X processor.

It is also a very aggressive time line (2 years) for all Intel base devices to be converted over to Apple Silicon processors. Hopefully I can hold on to to my mid-2012 MacBook Pro (9,1) bought in 2013 so that my next one will be on the newer processor. It is also it was a nice announcement that the Intel base machines will be getting macOS upgrade long after that 2 year transition.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

DanThe wrote:Yes it would seem Apple have been hard at work to make the transition as painless as possible but Conor will be the juge and jury regarding that. Still an exciting time for the macOS where it will be on par with the other OS' code wise.
Yes but Apple has a habit of giving with one hand and taking away with the other. Anyway with the pedia's we will probably see a new whole number version release with all of this.
DanThe wrote:Also impressive is the Developer Transition Kit hardware program which consists of a Mac Mini with an A12X processor.
Yes and very reasonably priced.
DanThe wrote:It is also a very aggressive time line (2 years) for all Intel base devices to be converted over to Apple Silicon processors. Hopefully I can hold on to to my mid-2012 MacBook Pro (9,1) bought in 2013 so that my next one will be on the newer processor. It is also it was a nice announcement that the Intel base machines will be getting macOS upgrade long after that 2 year transition.
I just did this exercise with a fellow Apple disciple:

Prior to 2007 one second hand Olivetti then two OTC generic Microsoft/Intel machines 1990 to 1999, then custom built a Microsoft/Intel machines with the latest & greatest hardware. (Had that till 2007)
Plus we had 2 diferent Nokia and 1 Orange phones of the era 1996 till 2010.

1st iMac 7.1 was 2007 Leopard 10.5 >> 2nd iMac 14.2 in Jan 2014 Mountain Lion 10.8 > Catalina 10.15.5 (7yrs)
Time capsule 1st gen in 2008 >> Time capsule 5th in 2014 (6yrs)
Airport Express 1st gen in 2008 >> now retired 2019 (11yrs) as we have a Yamaha AVReciever RX-V1085 with bluetooth, Ethernet, WiFi & airplay
iPhone 4 in 2010 >> iPhone 7 in 2017 (7yrs)
iPad 2 in 2011 >> iPad 6 in 2019 (8yrs)
iPad mini 2 in 2013 >> iPad mini 5 in 2020 (7yrs)

So 2021-22 would be the due date for a new iMac so that will be an ARM SoC based machine :D

We have been hanging out now for 8 months, since Sept 2019, for an updated or new designed TV box and Remote. No luck this WWDC. But those in the know who pull the OS’s apart are spotting code for a new TV box and Remote in TV+ OS and TV box OS.

But yes, interesting times for Apple and their devotee's.
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

I have several Apple devices but my most used and go to device is the MacBook Pro.

The first Apple device that I bought was the first version of the 160 GB iPod Classic. My first time into the Apple ecosystem was when I purchased a 15" MacBook Pro in 2013. It was the last year for MacBook Pro devices that had an internal DVD optical drive.

Unfortunately I will have to say goodbye to my 7 year old mid-2012 MacBook Pro (9,1) if I want to be able to use macOS Big Sur 11.0. However now is a good time to get one now that Apple has gotten rid of the problematic butterfly keyboard. My MacBook Pro does not have a Retina Display and it is funny to think that it was a new thing back then.

Now that WWDC20 is over, I hope that we get to hear from Conor about his impressions and in which direction this will take the Bruji apps. Given the current world situation, I also hope that all is well with him and his family.