Put Amazon Search Back - Others are hopeless ...

What other people think of us.
jaminor

Put Amazon Search Back - Others are hopeless ...

Post by jaminor »

DVDPedia ...

I am really frustrated with DVDpedia 5.1.1. I find it almost impossible to find movies the way I used to with an earlier version of DVDpedia when AMAZON was included as a search option for movies. I literally could find all the movies in my 239 DVD collection at Amazon. For example: try to find Captain America: The First Avenger on DVD / Widescreen. It's a DVD, not Blue-ray. Good Luck!

P. S. How can I get the older version of DVDpedia when Amazon was a search option. I want to go back.

Jim Minor
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Put Amazon Search Back - Others are hopeless ...

Post by Nora »

I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying the new version Jim. As you've probably read here on the forum and on our blog, Amazon is still available in version 5 it is simply a sign-up option now and not an automatic one. To sign up, go into the Preferences/Sites and press the 'Amazon Settings' button and follow the steps outlined here in the Help file.

The reason we've moved the Amazon searches to be a sign up option rather than an incorporated one is because we've had several issues with their services in the past, most importantly regarding Pocketpedia which we had to remove from the App Store twice because of complaints from Amazon. With this new system, those issues seem to be taken care of for good.
Another reason for this is also that users now get the commissions on sales made through Amazon instead of us since it's the users' associate ID in the program and not ours.

If you'd still prefer to return to version 4.6.8 you're of course welcome to do so. You can download it here. Please keep in mind though that version 4 and 5 use separate database files and thus any changes you've made since running version 5 will not automatically appear in the older file.
jaminor

Re: Put Amazon Search Back - Others are hopeless ...

Post by jaminor »

Thank you Nora ...

Before my post I tried to sign-up with Amazon but was unable to do so. For some reason, Amazon would not accept the username and password I use for my regular Amazon Account.

HOWEVER, today I was able to sign-up with Amazon using the instructions once again. This time I was able to successfully sign up and receive my access key and secret code. After entering this information in "Amazon Setting" in DVDpedia I was able to do searches and retrieve information. Just to let you know, my searches on Amazon were not as clean as in the older version of DVDpedia, i.e., the search retrieved all sorts of movies for my search that were not even close to what I searched for. Nevertheless, my search did find the movie I was looking for.

Thank you for your help. I'm a happy camper once again.