Bookpedia: what's the deal with ISBN-13?

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Bookpedia: what's the deal with ISBN-13?

Post by jenv »

When you search Amazon for a book using ISBN-13 (to add to your Wishlist, for example) Bookpedia saves the entry with the ISBN-10! Shouldn't it keep the ISBN-13? It would also be neat if Bookpedia saved the ISBN-13 even if you searched using an ISBN-10.
Reiner
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Bookpedia: what's the deal with ISBN-13?

Post by Reiner »

I would very much prefer, if Bookpedia would keep the ISBNumbers as the user entered them: If I enter a ISBN-10, Bookpedia keep it as well as if I enter a ISBN-13. Also from my point of view it is "bad" behaviour of Bookpedia when I enter an ISBN with dashes and Bookpedia deletes them (or does not reattach them in their position after a online-database deleted the dashes) and saves the number without dashes.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Bookpedia prefers the ISBN-13 over the the 10. The internal filter search is intelligent and will match a 13 or 10 digit ISBN to it's corresponding number. So you can filter and search books without having to think about what format your using. Do please send us the 13 digit ISBN number that gave you a 10 digit number as that shouldn't have been the case.
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by jenv »

Try 978-1888699074. Do Apple-F (Find). Paste the number, hit return. Go down to the ISBN line of the returned item. Observe it contains an ISBN-10, not the ISBN-13 you just entered.

I agree with Reiner that it's annoying when Bookpedia deletes dashes from the ISBN-13 you entered (that is, if the returned item's ISBN line is an ISBN-13 the dash is removed even if the original search contained one).
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I have fixed the issue with it selecting the ISBN 10 instead of the 13 digit one. You can download the beta version or wait for the next official release. Thank you for all the information.
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by jenv »

Wonderful. Thanks!