Show duplicates

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Cocoaner
Contributor
Contributor

Show duplicates

Post by Cocoaner »

Hello,

it seems, that the function "Show duplicates" just compares the title.
That is'nt that great, cauz it find remakes, too.

12 Angry Men (1957) => http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/
12 Angry Men (1997) => http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118528/

I don’t think, there is a perfect algorithm to find duplicates; but -
if both titles have an imdb-id and they're not equal, the movie shoudn't
"marked" as a duplicate.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Show duplicates

Post by Conor »

This is a tough one. This also happens for those that have the Blu-ray and regular version, as the title matches. Some people want those as duplicates, some don't. In this case we fall on the side of caution and include them as they can then be reviewed by the user to decide if they are duplicates or not.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

For my purposes, adding a column to a "Duplicates: *" collection that displays unique info is one way to differentiate items in it that might otherwise look identical in the Table View listing.

Sort of the opposite of your issue, Show Duplicates won't find items I'd consider as duplicates because their titles don't match (e.g. an Amazon vs. IMDb difference). A fix or workaround for that would be more useful to me than fixing the problem with too many matches (since I've already found workarounds for it).

Btw, after reading your original post here yesterday I doubled-checked the author of another recent one mentioning unwanted duplicate matches to make sure it really was written by someone else. :)
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:This is a tough one. This also happens for those that have the Blu-ray and regular version, as the title matches. Some people want those as duplicates, some don't. In this case we fall on the side of caution and include them as they can then be reviewed by the user to decide if they are duplicates or not.
Hi Conor - is it my imagination or did I read somewhere that the issues over Duplicates had been resolved in the latest release of DVDPedia?

I just ran a dupes check and they are still finding totally different movies as dupes - for example, the 2001 and 1960 versions of Ocean's Eleven show up as dupes despite clearly being totally different movies in every respect - crew, date, distribution, cast and so on.

I also have many movies on Blu-ray and also DVD and they show up as dupes still.

However, my two different versions of Lolita (1998 and 1962) don't show up as duped because the titles are catalogued with the date in [brackets] after the name of the movie.

It seems as if dupes are still just considered by title only. I'm sorry to be picky about such a terrific program, but surely if a movie has two different dates then it clearly isn't a duplicate - it's an alternative version. I'd like to see some way of listing alternative versions, but I'd also like to see real dupes shown up as well.

Just my two cents worth :)

Kind regards,

Keith

PS. No Snow Leopard issues at all! Great work!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We augmented it to show even more possible duplicates, by matching the UPC as well as titles. We don't want to get smart about removing non-duplicates based on release date, format and other possible variables as some users might consider these duplicates. We wanted to show as much information as possible so that users could decide if they were duplicates. I guess the command should probably be called "show possible duplicates". Of course with a very large collection this gets to be too much information for users looking for exact perfect match duplicates only. I have added it as a possible enhancement to have a preference that forces matches to be exact.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:We augmented it to show even more possible duplicates, by matching the UPC as well as titles. We don't want to get smart about removing non-duplicates based on release date, format and other possible variables as some users might consider these duplicates. We wanted to show as much information as possible so that users could decide if they were duplicates. I guess the command should probably be called "show possible duplicates". Of course with a very large collection this gets to be too much information for users looking for exact perfect match duplicates only. I have added it as a possible enhancement to have a preference that forces matches to be exact.
That enhancement would be terrific Conor - thanks.

Kind regards,

Keith
jwolf79
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by jwolf79 »

This is perhaps a feature request, but: it would be great if you could provide the user with more control over the criteria for the 'Show Duplicates' command in Bookpedia, i.e. if we could choose to sort duplicates based on some criteria (titles+authors) at some times but change it at other times to be more or less fine-grained. For those of us with large libraries, this would be a nice addition.

Thanks,
Jeff