iSight

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
tbob

iSight

Post by tbob »

Hello Conor,

In the spring of 2008 you worked with me to get an external firewire Panasonic video camera to work with DVDPedia on a 2008 Mac Pro. It worked up through v.4.3.2 and then quit. I just stayed at the version hoping it would start working again in a future version (although I haven't tried 4.5.3 yet with that combo).

Since then I have bought an early 2009 17" MacBook Pro. I set up the db on my Mac Pro in a shared dir and was ready to start using the new v4.5.3 on the MacBook and start using it to scan new dvd's. However I am having trouble scanning. After trying to scan 4 disks for 30 minutes I only got one to scan. While trying to scan the lines would turn and stay green but it would not read the code. I looked in About This Mac under USB/Camera and it shows the camera as product 0x8507. The MacBook is running Snow Leopard 10.6.1.

I then remembered that I had got a copy of Delicious Library 2 as part of a package deal in June. I tried it on the MacBook and it read every dvd I threw at it in no more than a couple of seconds.

I tried finding info on the net and the only thing I came up with was a mention about the new camera and it's limited resolution with Apple's API's. Not sure if that's what you are using or your own custom code. However that article mentions being able to use the full resolution of the camera with Quartz Composer in XCode.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISight

Any ideas on what I could do to get DVDPedia to work with the built in iSight. I like DVDPedia far more than DL2. I also own CDPedia but have not tried it yet, I assume it would have the same problems.

Thanks,
Bob
Nora
Site Admin

Re: iSight

Post by Nora »

We released a special beta version of the Pedias tonight with a completely new and revamped iSight feature. On our testing computers it's working almost like magic - so fast that one of our testers said: "It feels like the camera is just looking at my bookshelf and reading the barcodes off the books!"

If you'd like to give the betas a try, here are the download links: DVDpedia Beta 19
Bookpedia Beta 19
CDpedia Beta 19
Gamepedia Beta 19

Please let us know how that new iSight search works out for you. (As always, and especially if you have one of the very new MacBook Pros, make sure you have a lot of light when scanning.)