DVDpedia putting 2nd DVD Player in dock

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Ted L. Nancy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

DVDpedia putting 2nd DVD Player in dock

Post by Ted L. Nancy »

I've noticed that, frequently, when launching a VIDEO_TS from DVDpedia, it will put a second DVD Player icon in my dock. I'm not sure if this is a bug or whether it is supposed to do that. I guess it is no big deal, but where is it getting that second application and why doesn't it just open the one that's right there in the dock?
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: DVDpedia putting 2nd DVD Player in dock

Post by sjk »

Command-click a Dock item icon and usually a Finder window will open with the item selected (if found) in whatever folder it's in. Otherwise the icon will have a '?' over it indicating that the item can't be found; those "orphaned" icons can be dragged off Dock to remove them (with the animated "puff of smoke").

Try that with both DVD Player icons in your Dock. The first may be an orphan, multiple copies of DVD Player might be installed, or the icons are for different apps.
Ted L. Nancy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted L. Nancy »

Neither seems to be an "orphan." Nor do I have multiple copies of the same app installed.

Command-clicking on either brings up the same app: DVD Player.app in my Application folder.
Ted L. Nancy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted L. Nancy »

Here is a screen shot.

sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Hmm, that seems strange. What happens if you click the first DVD Player icon while while the second one is there (and active)?

Maybe the second icon appears because of how DVDpedia is launching DVD Player. If true, it should be possible to fix; other "app launchers" don't have that duplicate Dock icon side effect.
Ted L. Nancy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted L. Nancy »

sjk wrote:Hmm, that seems strange. What happens if you click the first DVD Player icon while while the second one is there (and active)?
Nothing happens, except if I am in another application, if I click the inactive DVD Player icon in the dock, it switches to the DVD Player app (just the same as it does if I select the active icon).

If I right-click on the inactive one, it brings up the menu you would see if the app was not running.

Like I said, this happens frequently, but not every time. I can't pinpoint what may be causing it. If it occurs when launching a movie, it does not necessarily do it every time with the same movie. No rhyme or reason, you know?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Have you tried removing both icons from your Dock and then dragging DVD Player into the Dock again from your Applications folder? When you run a movie in DVDpedia after that, do you still get a second DVD Player icon?
Ted L. Nancy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted L. Nancy »

Nora wrote:Have you tried removing both icons from your Dock and then dragging DVD Player into the Dock again from your Applications folder? When you run a movie in DVDpedia after that, do you still get a second DVD Player icon?
Yeah, it still happens even after I do that.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Minor variation of Nora's question:

If you remove both Dock icons then launch a movie from DVDpedia do two new DVD Player Dock icons appear?
Ted L. Nancy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted L. Nancy »

sjk wrote:Minor variation of Nora's question:

If you remove both Dock icons then launch a movie from DVDpedia do two new DVD Player Dock icons appear?
Never.

This has actually been happening for some time (at least a year), and since I am so OCD, I got frustrated looking at two app icons and just removed the DVD Player.app from the dock altogether. I never saw more than one icon with the settings like that.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

To clarify, one DVD Player Dock icon appears if none are there when DVDpedia launches a movie? And a second appears if one is already there?
Ted L. Nancy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted L. Nancy »

sjk wrote:To clarify, one DVD Player Dock icon appears if none are there when DVDpedia launches a movie?
Yes.
sjk wrote:And a second appears if one is already there?
Yes, frequently, but not every time.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

One more question: which versions of OS X and DVDpedia?
Ted L. Nancy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted L. Nancy »

Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Taking DVDpedia out of the picture Mac OS X should never show two dock icons for a single program, no matter how the program is launched. DVDpedia launches DVD player via an AppleScript that asks the Finder to open DVD Player, so DVDpedia leaves it up to the Finder to find and launch DVD Player. On our part will report it on to Apple's bug tracker so they can take a look at it. But do try a Spotlight search "DVD Player" to make sure there a single version.