Getting advanced info for multiple entries

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Getting advanced info for multiple entries

Post by iBoy »

I want to update the Genre info from IMDb to many movies at once (because I have used to enter it manually, but now I want all the genres as they appear on IMDb). Even though I delete the Genre fields first, no new genres are fetched from IMDb. I think I found the reason why: the Genre fields are not left completely empty when I delete them, there is a space or something which I can see as a blue, empty bubble when I go back and open the Edit panel for any of the movies. And IMDb only adds info to completely empty fields.

It works fine when I fetch IMDb info from one movie at a time, because then I can do it directly from the Edit window, before anything is added in the Genre field. But I have hundreds of movies, and it will take too much time to update one movie at a time.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Getting advanced info for multiple entries

Post by kbarnes70 »

iBoy wrote:I want to update the Genre info from IMDb to many movies at once (because I have used to enter it manually, but now I want all the genres as they appear on IMDb). Even though I delete the Genre fields first, no new genres are fetched from IMDb. I think I found the reason why: the Genre fields are not left completely empty when I delete them, there is a space or something which I can see as a blue, empty bubble when I go back and open the Edit panel for any of the movies. And IMDb only adds info to completely empty fields.

It works fine when I fetch IMDb info from one movie at a time, because then I can do it directly from the Edit window, before anything is added in the Genre field. But I have hundreds of movies, and it will take too much time to update one movie at a time.
1) In a List View of your titles, select 'all' (Cmd-A)
2) Then click the Edit button on the DVDpedia toolbar.
3) When the Edit window opens, locate the Genre field, make sure it is empty (which it should be) then tick the box next to it.
4) Click OK and exit the Edit window. This will 'blank' the Genre field for every selected title.
5) Next, right click (Ctrl-Click) in the List View and choose Advanced Info and then IMDb. This will then start a search of the IMDb and the empty Genre fields will be completed.

Kind regards,

Keith
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by iBoy »

This is exactly what I did, but as I wrote, the Genre field is not deleted completely, at least not in my library. "Something" is left which obstructs DVDpedia from getting the info from IMDb.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

iBoy wrote:This is exactly what I did, but as I wrote, the Genre field is not deleted completely, at least not in my library. "Something" is left which obstructs DVDpedia from getting the info from IMDb.
Do you mean that when you opened the Edit dialog that there was still some text in the Genre field? If so, delete it manually (but the field should be empty when you open the dialog).

Or do you mean that that the Genre field IS empty but something gets added to it later?

Kind regards.

Keith
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by iBoy »

This is an example of what it looks like in all Genre fields when I delete on multiple entries. It is no text, but maybe a space or something, and it appears as an empty, blue bubble:

So if I try to delete the Genre field on two or more entries at once, I will always get this result on all of them.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

iBoy wrote:This is an example of what it looks like in all Genre fields when I delete on multiple entries. It is no text, but maybe a space or something, and it appears as an empty, blue bubble:

So if I try to delete the Genre field on two or more entries at once, I will always get this result on all of them.
Can you not manually delete the blue bubble when you have the edit dialog window open?

Very odd. I'm guessing now but it's worth a shot. Open preferences, go to Autofill, select Genre and remove everything in there. Then try a multiple edit again.

If that doesn't make any difference (and TBH I don't see why it should), it's one for Conor I think.

Kind regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

If you continue to have trouble please email us your database file. What Keith describes is how it should work and there should be no left over bubble. With your database we should be able to get find the bug and fix it. The file is located in your home folder at ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Database.pediadata. Select it and use the compress command under the file menu to create a .zip version that you can then attach to an email. Thank you.
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by iBoy »

I have sent you a copy of my DVDpedia database. Great if you can find and fix the bug.