DVDpedia: Release Date country specific

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: DVDpedia: Release Date country specific

Post by kbarnes70 »

noribori wrote:That makes about 3000 movies since 2007, doesn't it? Not too shabby. :shock:
I wish I had them, Dr. Watson. But actually I lost some data last year, that's why I entered the data of about 150 movies again in only 2 months.

Regards,
noribori
:) Elementary....

Kind regards,

Keith
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Hmmm. On the basis of 'be careful what you wish for...' I'm not too sure now this is what I wanted :) Sorry Conor.

Given that DVDpedia is a DVD cataloguing program rather than a Movie cataloguing program, I think that what I might want (not sure yet) is the title of the DVD to reflect the actual title of the DVD, not the title of the movie. So the 'Director's Cut' or 'Special Extended Edition' or 'Steel Book Edition' etc might actually be what I want to see in the title field after all. This issue popped up when I noticed I apparently had three identical movies but in fact they are three different DVD releases.

I can do this by searching Amazon for the title rather than the IMDb of course, so maybe it doesn't really matter and the current release version of the program is exactly right because it suits everyone - if you want the title of the movie, search IMDb, if you prefer the title of the DVD, search Amazon.

For example, the Amazon title of one of my DVDs is "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (3-Disc) with Bonus Digital Copy [Blu-ray] [2009]" but the movie title is obviously just "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen".

I also notice that I now have the *original* title of the movies, as per IMDb, so all my Chinese movies now have titles I don't understand and they are also misfiled on my shelves now! This I definitely did NOT want. I guess it's impossible to please all of the people, all of the time. :)

I'm not really sure which way to go because I am a movie fan rather than a DVD fan - so I will probably leave the title as the IMDb movie title - and change the foreign titles back to English manually! Just a thought.

Kind regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

These are related to how a database is structured and meant to be used. As you noticed the fact that Amazon is a DVD based database while IMDb is a movie centric does make a difference. It does mean that you have to spend some time and tweak the incoming data. Thank you for sharing your usage and where bottlenecks occur for you. I do believe having the foreign title can be quite confusing and why we have a dedicated field for that information. We are hoping to be able to add that title information localized for the users and the original title in it's correct field for all the users who prefer it. Since they are still making changes in this area at IMDb, we will wait a while before we try to tackle that issue.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:These are related to how a database is structured and meant to be used. As you noticed the fact that Amazon is a DVD based database while IMDb is a movie centric does make a difference. It does mean that you have to spend some time and tweak the incoming data. Thank you for sharing your usage and where bottlenecks occur for you. I do believe having the foreign title can be quite confusing and why we have a dedicated field for that information. We are hoping to be able to add that title information localized for the users and the original title in it's correct field for all the users who prefer it. Since they are still making changes in this area at IMDb, we will wait a while before we try to tackle that issue.
Yes, thanks, Conor. No one solution will suit everyone. For the time being I am sticking with the IMDb titles and I am happy that the theatrical release dates are now right. Regarding the foreign titles, I have used the English title and added the original (foreign) title in brackets after it - a sort of best of both worlds solution :)

Kind regards,

Keith