Recognition of the barcode completely ineffective v4.6.0

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Axel
Captain
Captain

Re: Recognition of the barcode ineffective with v4.6.0

Post by Axel »

Hi Conor,

I did a second try scanning with 4.6.2 with the same book and again the rectangle turns green but nothing happens.
Reinstalling the previous version allows the webcam to scan the same book without any issue...so I will keep 4.6.0. I'll see if next version fixes that issue.

In fact I have got a second issue this time but I'm sure it comes from my side, that has nothing to do with 4.6.2...the result window after scanning returns only empty fields...amazon is checked in the properties, littlesnitch allows any connection from bookpedia...but the result window appearing after the "scanning beep" returns no results...I don't know where the issue comes from...
Last edited by Axel on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Recognition of the barcode completely ineffective v4.6.0

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the confirmation. For the searching try setting s specific site like Amazon US instead of cascade to eliminate and variables. If that still fails and you know that the barcode is listed on the website, do send us the barcode so we can see why it might not be found. Although since you describe it happening immediately it would be something blocking the connection. Take a look at your console log as Bookpedia would report any errors into there.
Axel
Captain
Captain

Post by Axel »

Thanks Conor,

Amazon only is checked in preferences, amazon is allowed by littlesnitch and console returns:
Amazon Search Error: Deprecated = Feature Subjects is deprecated

Many thanks for your help
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the console log information. I had forgotten that one of the changes to the update was to remove some deprecated parts of the Amazon API (I had not expected them to add a failure for the deprecated "subjects" category had hoped they would ignore and still return results). Try the Bookpedia beta version that includes the Amazon fixes present in the latest version plus a tweaked Logitech camera to have the same settings as in 4.6.0.
Axel
Captain
Captain

Post by Axel »

Hi Conor,

Many thanks for that Beta version.
In fact that version works but is way slower than 4.6.0. which was so quick to scan. I tried that beta version with several books and it takes aprox 15 sec for it to scan anything.

If you want me to run other tests, feel free to ask ;-)

Have a nice day
Axel
Captain
Captain

Post by Axel »

Hi Conor,

Many thanks for your help.

I re installed 4.6.0....but it still doesn't bring back any results unfortunately.
Console still says:
2010-11-03 20:16:21.570 Bookpedia[180] Amazon Search Error: Deprecated = Feature Subjects is deprecated.

Can it be because I messed up installing the update, + the Beta etc?

Thanks
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Sorry, I forgot that Amazon had changed their API. I spent the afternoon and back ported the change to 4.6.0, you should now be able to download 4.6.0 again without the Amazon error.
Axel
Captain
Captain

Post by Axel »

Hi Conor,

sorry to give you so much work but after trashing bookp, (keeping the pref files) and re installing the new version, console tells me again "Amazon Search Error: Deprecated = Feature Subjects is deprecated."