Recognition of the barcode completely ineffective v4.6.0

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Stephane

Recognition of the barcode completely ineffective v4.6.0

Post by Stephane »

Hi,
Previously random, barcode recognition from the isight not working anymore with the update v4.6.0.
On screen, the image is a loud noise and, consequently, the barcode appears as garbled. It is never recognized ... not even a moment.
For information, I use an iMac 27 "2.8 Ghz Core i7, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 under 10.6.3, all updates done.
Regards.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Recognition of the barcode completely ineffective v4.6.0

Post by Nora »

Hi Stephane, as mentioned in previous posts, that's a problem with the new range of iMacs and their cameras. We're looking into it and hope to find a solution soon.
Did the iSight scan work for you with the previous version of DVDpedia (4.5.5) on that computer?
Stephane

Post by Stephane »

With the same iMac and previous versions of Book, CD, DVD and GamePedia (4.5.5), the isight only worked a little: it was necessary to be super stable and find the right distance for recognition. Given the very low success rate, I do not use the automatic recognition (I returned the ISBN in hand in 4.5.5).
Your recognition rate is lower than Delicious Library 2.4.1: 3/6 and 0/6 for you (in the same light conditions and with same books - I just take the test).
I can compare because I'm a switcher: your application for iPhone seduced me.
In this regard, for some time, I never find it on iTunes or on your site. Is this normal? I can do without this "something essential" (have all my libraries in the pocket) that brought me up (with export features better developed and that work, be honest :D ).
Regards.
jonbwfc

Post by jonbwfc »

I have a mac without a built in isight - a Mac Pro - but I have a MacAlly IceCam 2. It works without drivers with no problems as a webcam with Skype and iChat. I hate to mention the competition but it also works effectively with DL2 for recognising barcodes. With DVDpedia, both the previous version and the 'new' version with the new scanning engine, I get a good picture with the green square to position the barcode but no matter how the frame is lit or how stable the barcode it is, I get no apparent recognition at all. I have the frame lit so evenly I can read the number under the barcode off the screen (when I alt-key flip the image over anyway) yet DvDpedia (or indeed any of the 'pedia apps) seem utterly oblivious to the presence of a barcode.

Are cameras other than the built in isights supported? Is there a reason I don't get the 'red line' mentioned in the help files any more? Any suggestions as to why this isn't working?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

@jonbwfc Thank you for the feedback. Our code does something slightly different for each camera as there are so many different variables to account for in each. Could you please download a copy of any DVDpedia beta, and run the iSight. Then in your console log, that can be viewed with the program of the same name in your utilities folder, you will find a message from DVDpedia Beta reporting the model of your camera as the computer sees it. Please send us that information so that we can set the correct settings for the MacAlly IceCam 2.

@Stephane Thank you for the detailed feedback. We had to remove Pocketpedia due to an issue with the terms of agreements with Amazon, where we download some of our data. We are looking at bringing it back as we enjoy it as much as you do.
jonbwfc

Post by jonbwfc »

Conor,

I assume this line is the one you're after?

08/05/2010 10:56:44 DVDpedia[25250] Device: UVC Camera VendorID_2760 ProductID_13344
08/05/2010 10:57:26 DVDpedia[25250] Device: UVC Camera VendorID_2760 ProductID_13344
08/05/2010 10:57:32 DVDpedia[25250] Device: UVC Camera VendorID_2760 ProductID_13344
08/05/2010 10:59:58 DVDpedia[25279] Device: UVC Camera VendorID_2760 ProductID_13344
johnwesleybarker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by johnwesleybarker »

My iSight is also now disfunctional with the update of CDPedia to 4.6.0 - please post a fix soon.

I'm not updating my other Pedias just yet.

My setup: Mac OS X 10.5.8 iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Thanks.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Have you tried the beta version of CDpedia?
Axel
Captain
Captain

Post by Axel »

Hi Nora,

I am in the same case...my pedia worked fine until I installed the 4.6.0, the Betas 26 and 27 did not work neither.

Here is my set up:
Powerbook G4 1.67 Ghz (yes I know it's old, but still works perfect;-)
OSX 10.4.11
Logitech® QuickCam® Vision Pro for Mac®

Issues are: cam does not focus on barcode anymore, the autofocus seems to stay at +-50 cm so the pedia cannot read the barcode when you close up the barcode as before, and the general feedback image is very very slow.

I know you are usually quick to solve issues, so I'll revert to previous version and wait for you to fix it.

Many thanks for your nice work and support!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

HI Axel,

Thank you for the information. Could you please download the beta and test it. Also in your console log the beta will report information on how the "Logitech® QuickCam® Vision Pro for Mac®" appears to the Pedias, a device number and vendor ID. Could you send us that information, that way we can take that camera into account and actually force the focus as well as doing a zoom on the video to make it easier to place the barcode in the proper location.
EcceAngelo
Inductee
Inductee

Post by EcceAngelo »

Hi,

I have about the same problem as above since I updated Bookpedia (and DVDpedia, which I didn't test since the update, assuming that it uses exactly the same code for iSight recognition) : with 4.6.0, black window. with the beta downloaded just 5 minutes from now (i cannot read accurately the number : 28?), the window shows just like the capture on the "Articles" section of the website, but doesn't recognize any barcode. Not even a red/green blinking or so...

My config :

Macbook CoreDuo 1,83 GHz ; Mac OS X 10.6.3 ; and iSight as shown in the console log :

"12/05/10 18:48:22 Bookpedia[2189] Scanning Device: UVC Camera VendorID_1452 ProductID_34049"

Thank you very much
johnwesleybarker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by johnwesleybarker »

The CDPedia.zip worked fine. Thanks.
Axel
Captain
Captain

Post by Axel »

Conor wrote:HI Axel,

Thank you for the information. Could you please download [url=http:/www.bruji.com/beta/bookpedia.zip]the beta[/url] and test it. Also in your console log the beta will report information on how the "Logitech® QuickCam® Vision Pro for Mac®" appears to the Pedias, a device number and vendor ID. Could you send us that information, that way we can take that camera into account and actually force the focus as well as doing a zoom on the video to make it easier to place the barcode in the proper location.
Hi Conor,

Many thanks, the beta finally worked fine.
The console's datas from my Logitech® QuickCam® Vision Pro for Mac® are:
Bookpedia[360] Scanning Device: UVC Camera VendorID_1133 ProductID_2470

Many thanks for your help, you're always so efficient!
Axel
Captain
Captain

Recognition of the barcode completely ineffective v4.6.2

Post by Axel »

Hi Everybody,

I've installed 4.6.2 tonight and I've got an issue exactely after installing the new version, the rectangle around the barcode turns green but nothing happens...

My software and hardware set up is exactely the same as before.

Could you please help?

Many thanks
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Axel,

We haven't changed the iSight settings with the latest update. Could you please download an older version and let us know if indeed the older version works with the same barcode where the new version fails? You can download an older version from this link.