DVDPEDIA : IMDB feed freezes

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Childeric
Contributor
Contributor

DVDPEDIA : IMDB feed freezes

Post by Childeric »

With 4.6.1, I have a freeze when dvdpedia tries to load data from IMDB for some movies, when the IMDB field is already entered. The search runs indefinitely and gets no data back.

This happens, for example, for Van Helsing, IMDB # 0338526
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: DVDPEDIA : IMDB feed freezes

Post by kbarnes70 »

Childeric wrote:With 4.6.1, I have a freeze when dvdpedia tries to load data from IMDB for some movies, when the IMDB field is already entered. The search runs indefinitely and gets no data back.

This happens, for example, for Van Helsing, IMDB # 0338526
I was experiencing this too a few days ago - just on one or two movies. I tried it again a couple of days later and it was OK. I suspect it's a problem at IMDb's end. Are you still getting the same result?

Kind regards,

Keith
Childeric
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Childeric »

I tried again this movie, and it was ok. But others are freezing. As you say, probably an issue with imdb.

However, this can be stopped in DVDpedia when on the edit window (just close it). But if I launch the update in the main window, I have to kill dvdpedia in the monitor in order to be able to use it again.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Childeric wrote:I tried again this movie, and it was ok. But others are freezing. As you say, probably an issue with imdb.

However, this can be stopped in DVDpedia when on the edit window (just close it). But if I launch the update in the main window, I have to kill dvdpedia in the monitor in order to be able to use it again.
Yes, that is what I find too. There is no way to exit DVDpedia if it can't find a movie on IMDb and you are using the 'Get Advanced Info/IMDb' - you have to Force Quit and start the program again. Using the Edit dialog is OK as you say. IMDb do seem to change things around quite often which must be a nightmare for Bruji. Just one other thing - I used to have a problem with bulk updating entries via IMDb when I was using entries located inside a Smart Collection. For example, if I made a smart folder where I had deleted IMDb ratings on some entries and then tried to update the entries for the latest movie ratings, DVDpedia would hang partway through. This was because of the way the program updated the Smart Collection dynamically. Conor kindly fixed this if I recall correctly in a later DVDpedia update. I don't know if this affects you, or if you are using the latest DVDpedia version (where the problem won't happen) but I mention it just in case it affects you. From what you say I suspect this isn't your problem though.

Kind regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the bug reports. I haven't been able to repeat it, but if it happens again do let me know the IMDb number as well as take a look at your console log for any errors from DVDpedia. A freeze like that is most likely a simple exemption I am overlooking and not checking for that can be avoided. The console log should report what that exception is. Thank you.