PocketPedia 2 Wont Sync (New iPod Touch OS 4)

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: PocketPedia 2 Wont Sync (New iPod Touch OS 4)

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:Hi Keith,

With the new iOS 4 the progress message does not update as often (they somehow slowed down the display refresh). So it feels like it takes longer as it does not list all the "getting details" "getting images" messages that it used to and gave one a feel of progress. The old connection box is for Pocketpedia1 that uses a different connection that is not on by default to avoid warnings about DVDpedia listening for incoming connections. With the new version it's Pocketpedia that is awaiting connections from DVDpedia.
Ah, right. That explains it. I'm happy that it works at all TBH. Quite a few of my iPhone apps needed to use updated versions after I installed OS 4.0 so it seems so I was initially worried that PP2 would also need an update, which, of course, thanks to our friends in Seattle (no, not Microsoft :)) wouldn't happen. Thanks, as always, for the very rapid response.

Kind regards.

Keith
JRBTempe
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by JRBTempe »

Here's an odd new wrinkle to this issue... I got a new iPhone 4 last Wednesday and restored the backup from my old iPhone 3GS, which included my PocketPedia 2 data. I added a few new titles to CDPedia and DVDPedia and went to sync them today, with no success, which led me to find this thread. It seems that I can get CDPedia to update OK after some effort, but DVDPedia konks out every time and the phone drops the Wi-Fi connection after several minutes, repeatedly and only with this app.

Taking one of the earlier suggestions, I installed the original PocketPedia app that I still have on hand and wouldn't you know it, so far it's syncing my DVDPedia data like a charm and it's even showing the progress as it should (currently getting details for 1,214 titles). I guess sometimes it pays to keep those older versions around. ;-)

Any idea what could be happening with PocketPedia 2, however? The Wi-Fi signal is stable and I still seem to be able to update my PocketPedia 2 changes on the iPhone 3GS as always. Very strange!
evg2000
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by evg2000 »

I tried reversing the sort order, adding another listing, trying to reload the whole database, with and without old connection checked (shutting down the app on the phone and mac after making the change) and nothing updated. Are there logs for the app on the phone or mac that I might be able to try (either already on, or a way to turn them on?).

thanks,
charles
JRBTempe
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by JRBTempe »

After some further tinkering, I found a resolution to my PocketPedia2 problem, at least on my iPhone 4… turns out that turning Bluetooth off suddenly made PP2 spring to life and update back to it's old rapid-fire self (or really faster, thanks to the speedier processor)!! For those of you having issues, might be worth a try.
evg2000
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by evg2000 »

JRBTempe wrote:After some further tinkering, I found a resolution to my PocketPedia2 problem, at least on my iPhone 4… turns out that turning Bluetooth off suddenly made PP2 spring to life and update back to it's old rapid-fire self (or really faster, thanks to the speedier processor)!! For those of you having issues, might be worth a try.
You sir are a genius! Worked perfectly.

Next question, now I want to remove PP V1, how do I delete the DB it uses as I probably takes up a lot of space with all the pictures and such.

thanks again,
charles
JRBTempe
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by JRBTempe »

evg2000 wrote: You sir are a genius! Worked perfectly.

Next question, now I want to remove PP V1, how do I delete the DB it uses as I probably takes up a lot of space with all the pictures and such.
Glad to hear it! As far as removing PP1, just hold down the icon until it wiggled and tap the X -- that will remove the old app and its database and you'll be good to go.
Moskito
Inductee
Inductee

Post by Moskito »

Hi,

First sorry for my english if I make some mistakes.

I tried everything that is adviced in this thread but unfortunately I still cannot sync PP2 with CDPedia.

It asks me to check If I have Pedia version 4.5 or higher on my mac. I have of course the last version of CDPedia.

Is there another thing that could be checked to make my app work again ?

Thank you very much for your help
weirded76
Contributor
Contributor

Post by weirded76 »

Hi,

I still have OS 3.1 on my iPhone 3G but i have the same problem (requesting collections hangs and sometimes after minutes i get the warning about DVDPedia version not up to date, though I have the last one, 4.6.1). Suggestions ?

Regards,

Marco
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Try creating a dedicated WiFi network. From your Mac's airport menu on the main menu bar select "Create Network..." and then from your iPhone's Settings application connect to this new network.
rkbaker48
Inductee
Inductee

Post by rkbaker48 »

I too cannot sync my collections since upgrading to iOS4 on my iPhone 3GS. I am using DVDpedia 4.6.1 and Pocketpedia2. I did check and my IPv6 was already set to "Automatically" (per Conor's suggestion). I also tried initiating the sync while holding down the option key in DVDpedia, but that didn't work either. One of the syncs did appear to be working, but then nothing had been updated. I'm looking forward to a fix to this issue, as I actually use my Pocketpedia for frequent reference. Thanks!
weirded76
Contributor
Contributor

Post by weirded76 »

Conor wrote:Try creating a dedicated WiFi network. From your Mac's airport menu on the main menu bar select "Create Network..." and then from your iPhone's Settings application connect to this new network.
Thank you for your suggestion. It worked perfectly.

Best regards,

Marco
kicks92

Post by kicks92 »

Wow!

I couldn't get dvdpedia and pedia to sync either on IP4. I just realized I had DVDpedia turned on on both desktop and MBP. Quit DVDpedia on my imac and now it is syncing with the laptop.

I'm happy now.
cmv4758
Inductee
Inductee

Post by cmv4758 »

I have an iphone 4 and the latest dvdpedia on my mac book pro. I to was unable to sync my collections. I tried turning off bluetooth and it worked. Obviously there is a problem with bluetooth interfering with the sync process. Unfortunately, I was unable to determine what version of pocketpedia I have. Any ideas?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Bluetooth interference is a know issue with iOS 4. You must likely have version 2 of Pocketpedia (the icon with the books, instead of the icon with the pocket containing a book and a Pacman).
bigfella
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bigfella »

Had similar problem on iPhone 3Gs with iOs4 on the phone (run Tiger 10.4.11)followed all the suggestions and everything is ok now, if a little slow.Occasionally get the 5.4 message up, but no problems.