Problem with selecting words in Info Pane

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Problem with selecting words in Info Pane

Post by jenv »

In OSX, double-clicking on a word selects that word. You can then type Apple-C to copy it into the paste buffer or Apple-V to copy over it from the paste buffer. You can even double-click and scroll left/right to select strings of words (rather than individual characters). Enough with the OSX lesson, on with the bug report.

If you go to the Info pane (Apple-I) of any Pedia and select the last word of a field, you will see that what is actually selected is that word plus the first word of the next field. That makes copy/paste a pain, because the only way you can select that word without extraneous stuff is to make a continuous selection from individual characters (hold down button while scrolling the mouse left/right). Note this only happens on the last word; selecting any other word in a field works as you expect. It seems to me that making such selections should be restricted to stay within a field and not overlap other fields.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Problem with selecting words in Info Pane

Post by sjk »

Thanks for reporting this, with clear detail so it was immediately obvious to me what you meant. I've always thought (perhaps incorrectly) it was an unavoidable side effect of how styles are implemented, Maybe it behaves differently depending on which one's used? I'm too lazy to test now and have always ended up back with the default Collection style after briefly trying others.
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by jenv »

sjk wrote:Maybe it behaves differently depending on which one's used?
Further tests on Bookpedia say it does.

Collection, Light, Plain, Tabbed, Tiger, TigerImage, and TigerPastel behave as described.

Grey, Light2, TigerColumn have no apparent word selection misbehaviors.

GreyImage also doesn't misbehave, though it does have a bug: In the Info pane I don't see a space after the colon in "Genre:".

With Dark, selecting the first word of Author or Genre (but not the other fields it appears, though I haven't tested every possible field) mis-selects the previous word (the item title: Author, Publisher, Pages, etc).

Mint behaves as Collection etc, plus selecting the first word of Author (but no others) selects the previous word too.

In TigerCompact, sometimes the first or last word, or both, misbehave, depending on what field you look at.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We are currently rewriting the info pane styles. Cleaning them up, aligning them, giving them a general overall update. Will be sure to take clicking to select into account and make sure it works. We will also look into adding your other suggestion about copying on click, although I have to investigate how closely I can integrate with the Mac OS X WebKit engine that powers the info view and if this would be a possibility.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

jenv wrote:Further tests on Bookpedia say it does.
Thanks for testing and posting the results.
Conor wrote:We are currently rewriting the info pane styles.
For *pedia 5? :)
We will also look into adding your other suggestion about copying on click, although I have to investigate how closely I can integrate with the Mac OS X WebKit engine that powers the info view and if this would be a possibility.
I'm usually not fond of copy-on-click behavior, unless it's otherwise impossible to explicitly select/copy desired content.