I can't turn off backups?

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

I can't turn off backups?

Post by jenv »

The Pedias create the files backup1Month.pediadata, backup2Month.pediadata, etc. Since I religiously do my own backups, these do nothing but waste space in my opinion. How do I turn off this feature? I'd also like an option to disable and remove Backup Quickpicks (which are only created by Gamepedia as far as I can tell). Neither Time Machine nor Carbon Copy Cloner need or use either of these features.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: I can't turn off backups?

Post by Nora »

If you don't want DVDpedia to do the automatic backup for you every month, open the application Terminal found in Applications/Utilities and copy paste the following line into it, followed by a return:

Code: Select all

defaults write com.bruji.dvdpedia NoAutomaticBackup -bool YES
You can remove the .quickpick file from inside the Pedias by ctrl-clicking the program icon and navigating to Contents/Resources and deleting the file: com.bruji.dvdpedia.quickpick
But if you don't use Backup then the files shouldn't really interfere in any way.
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: I can't turn off backups?

Post by jenv »

That shell command works for all pedias (with appropriate substitutions)? Why isn't it an option in Preferences? There's no obvious reason to make it hidden.

As to "really interfere", that's not really the point. I think it poor application behavior to:
1) Create backups of user data without being commanded to and without a Preference to turn them off and delete them
2) Install files that modify the behavior of other applications (Backup and MobileMe) when (a) modifying such behavior is not an explicit function of the application, and (b) there's no Preference to turn it off and delete the installed files

I don't want to delete the QuickPick inside the application directory, I just want a Preference to prevent a Pedia from installing it in ~/Library/Application Support/Backup. Deleting application files is a bad idea in any case, because users shouldn't have to modify or delete an application's files in order to change how an application behaves. Indeed, it cannot be assumed they can do so, because not all users are Administrators and forcing them to get an Administrator's assistance is a bad idea. Also, what about other users? Deleting anything in an application's directory tree affects them. My preferences shouldn't affect them at all.