Buggy interaction between Bookpedia and Spaces

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Buggy interaction between Bookpedia and Spaces

Post by jenv »

1) Edit (Apple-E) any record
2) Make any edits you like to that record, but do not save them, leaving the edit window open
3) Switch to another virtual screen with Spaces
4) Switch back to your original Space
5) Observe that all your edits have disappeared

This of course does not occur when switching applications (Apple-Tab), except when changing your current Space is a side effect of the application switch.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Buggy interaction between Bookpedia and Spaces

Post by Conor »

Hi Jenv,

If you have the possibility could you please send me a screen capture. Since there most be some other variable. I tried it as you described and the edits are waiting in Bookpedia to be saved when returning, even though the Finder is the active application after a spaces switch. Tested it with switching spaces with keyboard shortcut and via the menu bar.
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by jenv »

Conor wrote:If you have the possibility could you please send me a screen capture. Since there most be some other variable. I tried it as you described and the edits are waiting in Bookpedia to be saved when returning
Further testing shows there is another variable. Do this: make sure the Space containing Bookpedia has no open Finder windows, leaving only the Desktop background (other apps are ok). Two things should happen: the edit loss I reported, and the edit window will be behind the main window when you return to the Space containing Bookpedia.
Last edited by jenv on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

jenv wrote:…, and the edit window will be behind the main window when you return to the Space containing Bookpedia.
Happens here DVDPedia and Spaces, but I hadn't noticed the disappearing edits issues (and can't test it right now).
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

jenv wrote:the edit window will be behind the main window when you return to the Space containing Bookpedia.
I hit some form of this all the time with DVDPedia but I think it's a SPACES issue. SPACES doesn't treat auxiliary windows such as dialog boxes as full citizens. If I have a program running with a dialog box open the dialog box seems to fly around sometimes from SPACE to SPACE or if not it will dive behind any open window. I live in 9 SPACES and love it for the most part but it's weak sauce.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Actually… DVDpedia's Edit window sure looks/behaves like a "regular" one, except relative to Spaces.

Spaces can behave "randomly" inconsistently with regular window layering. For example, a New Message window in Mail that stayed on top through several space switches will suddenly mysteriously decide to hide itself under the main window. And Safari window layering sometimes gets confused by space switching.
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by jenv »

sjk wrote:Happens here DVDPedia and Spaces, but I hadn't noticed the disappearing edits issues (and can't test it right now).
Were you able to confirm the problem?
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

I couldn't reproduce this with DVDpedia. When switching from/to its space (using Control- prefix shortcuts) with a modified edit window open that window goes behind the main window, a Command-` brings it to the front, and the content is the same as before leaving that space.