DVDPedia not picking up Theatrical date from IMDB

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
eromalodi
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

DVDPedia not picking up Theatrical date from IMDB

Post by eromalodi »

Sorry if this has been covered before and I don't know if this is a common problem, but DVDPedia only manages to identify the theatrical release date from IMDB 25% of the time at best. Strangely, instead it usually defaults to the 1st Jan of the year before the actual release year. I have been manually inputting the dates for sometime, but wondered if there was a problem here that could be resolved? Thanks.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: DVDPedia not picking up Theatrical date from IMDB

Post by Alex »

Please download this update and see if it makes a difference. IMDB changed their site and we had to make some changes on our end:

http://www.bruji.com/dvdpedia/beta.zip
bgdawes
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bgdawes »

First off - Nora/Connor, your product is AWESOME!!!!!! DVDPedia is by far the best software application I have ever bought; seriously - even better than Microsoft Office products I've purchased for my Mac. GREAT JOB Nora/Connor! Your programs rock!!!

Second, I am really disappointed with iMDB. Not only is their recent 'upgrade' HORRIBLE, it has required you to develop code to accommodate their (iMDB) awful new design. [rant] Ok, I'm done complaining about the recent iMDB 'upgrade'. [/rant]

At any rate, thanks again for a great product. I really don't have any bugs to report but I just wanted to post a response to thank you for your awesome software and curse iMDB for their stupid upgrade. Since iMDB unfortunately does have the most robust film data I will continue to add my DVD's to DVDpedia using iMDB so thanks for the beta release!
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

bgdawes wrote:I am really disappointed with iMDB. … their recent 'upgrade' HORRIBLE
Yeah, and the negative shock of discovering it still hasn't worn off. It instantly turned what used to be a fun site to browse into one that I'll prefer to avoid except when necessary. And it's certainly not the first example of redesigning a useful/usable "classic" site so it stinks.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the kind words and even more excited that DVDpedia is awesome for you as it is for us.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

sjk wrote:
bgdawes wrote:I am really disappointed with iMDB. … their recent 'upgrade' HORRIBLE
Yeah, and the negative shock of discovering it still hasn't worn off. It instantly turned what used to be a fun site to browse into one that I'll prefer to avoid except when necessary. And it's certainly not the first example of redesigning a useful/usable "classic" site so it stinks.
Yes, it's strange isn’t it? They made a totally killer iPad app that works really well on the smaller touchscreen and then seemed to decide to take various elements of that and incorporate it into the main desktop web page design. If it ain't broke etc...

Kind Regards,

Keith
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

sjk wrote:
Deep joy, sjk! Create a free user account at Imdb, log into it, keep yourself logged in by checking the box when you log in. Then go to your account preferences and change "Show previous title and name page design (reference view):" and the site reverts back to the view we all love and want!

Wow!

Kind Regards,

Keith
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Thanks, Keith. That's much better. Could have checked the preferences before whining here. :)
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

sjk wrote:Thanks, Keith. That's much better. Could have checked the preferences before whining here. :)
:) Maybe. But you might also expect that, as the new layout is optional, IMDb might also have made some sort of reference to that on their new page design Home Page. I only discovered it by complete accident because I read a post here about setting the 'home country' for the titles via IMDb prefs and went to check how mine was set. The main thing is we can get back to the proper version of IMDb!

Kind Regards,

Keith