DVDpedia: amazon.de search doesn't work

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
megablank

DVDpedia: amazon.de search doesn't work

Post by megablank »

Hello,

I just tried to add some newly-bought movies to DVDpedia using amazon.de, but there are no search results.
After examining the error message in the console, it shows the following:

22.01.11 16:57:07 DVDpedia[688] Amazon Search Error: AccountLimitExceeded = Account limit of 2000 requests per hour exceeded.

Is this a new limitation of Amazon? Never saw this before.

Markus
Nora
Site Admin

Re: DVDpedia: amazon.de search doesn't work

Post by Nora »

That's a new limitation from Amazon implemented back in December. We were hoping that this wouldn't affect the Pedias but apparently that was wishful thinking. We do get more allowances per sale referred through the Pedias but the Pedias aren't particularly geared towards Amazon and sales. We're currently working on adding several new sites to the programs.
Pebowski
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Pebowski »

Does it mean 2000 searches per hour of all users worldwide who uses the Pedias?
This will explain, why I sometimes haven't found a book or DVD when I enter my whole collection. And some time later it works OK again.

Maybe this also was his problem:
http://www.bruji.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4058
(But I also found his tone was too rude and misplaced, because your program and your service is excellent and at a very fair and reasonable price - and I really like to work with the Pedias!!! :D )

Regards
Peter

PS: Now it happened again to me: I looked for the book "Nea Machina: Die Kreativmaschine" (and have at first in the search order amazon.de) - and it was found in Abebooks (which came at the 6th position after all the amzon sites) - I put this book on my wishlist - and of course the urls now goes to Abebooks. So when I want to buy the book, do I come to amazon? No! :mrgreen:
So I don't really know why amazon did the limitation? What is the advantage for them?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

As with so many Amazon related issues - we're not quite sure why they're doing this... :) But they do state that every sale referred through the program will increase the number of allowed requests so presumably this is a way to drive sales.

We'll try and come up with a solution to this issue. In the meantime, our apologies for the inconvenience. All the other search sites in the Pedias should continue to work as usual without limitations.
megablank

Post by megablank »

Hi Nora,

about 20 minutes after my original post, the search suddenly worked again. So it's indeed no permanent issue.

I'm a happy DVDpedia user for many years now. And that won't change because of Amazon.

Danke. :-)

Markus
Pebowski
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Pebowski »

In the moment Amazon search would not work. Here is the message from the log file:

12.03.11 17:26:17 DVDpedia[2038] Amazon Search Error: AccountLimitExceeded = Account limit of 3129 requests per hour exceeded.

I'm using DVDPedia 4.6.4

Best regards
Peter
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the information. Amazon has implemented a new limit based on the number of items sold through the Pedias. In Germany our selling rate is low so the limit imposed by Amazon is not as high. We are working on phasing out Amazon as well as allowing users to sign up with their own accounts if they wish to continue using Amazon for a future release, so this will no longer be an issue. With the current version waiting half an hour should solve the issue.
Pebowski
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Pebowski »

Thank you Conor for these news. At the moment the only bad thing is, that you don't know if the item is really not found or blocked by amazon unless you look in the log.

Regards, Peter