Data retrieval from IMDb comes up almost empty

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
gremlin.kees
Contributor
Contributor

Data retrieval from IMDb comes up almost empty

Post by gremlin.kees »

Hi folks,
bought DVDpedia about a month ago. Nice program, everything seemed to be working fine. I entered several hundred DVDs using primarily IMDb. However since yesterday all searches using the DVD title come up with an almost empty dataset. On the main page only the Summary text is available, on the Extra page the IMDb number and URL. Everything else including the Title is empty. Earlier I already "lost" some data points. For instance I had to bring in the Rating manually after having that automatically for several hundred DVDs before. I backed up my content, deleted the App and re-installed it from the App store. Problem is unfortunately still there. Hope you can help me out.
atti
Inductee
Inductee

Re: Data retrieval from IMDb comes up almost empty

Post by atti »

Same here, I assume that IMDb changed something in their html coding... Looking forward to a fix, as I prefer IMDb, too.

Great job by the way, I've been using DVDpedia since many years and I'm looking forward to a new version of PocketPedia! :-)

Thanks,
Andy
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Yes, IMDb did change things on their site but it's fixed in the beta. We will release an official point update in a few days.
gremlin.kees
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gremlin.kees »

Thx Nora, the beta requires a serial number. Wasn't aware that I had one. Where can I find it? Kees
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Kees,

You must have a Mac App Store version that has no serial but is code signed with your iTunes account. The update will be out in a few weeks, it has to go through the Mac App Store review process and then it will self update. In the meantime here are the instructions to install the beta's plugin into the Mac App Store version.
  • 1. Right click on the DVDpedia Beta.app and use "Show Package Contents".
    2. Navigate to "Contents/Plug-ins"
    3. Repeat the steps in a new Finder window for the Mac Store version of DVDpedia.app.
    4. Copy the IMDb.plugin from the beta version into the same plug-ins location in the Mac App Store version.
    5. Launch the regular DVDpedia.app and you should be set to go.
gremlin.kees
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gremlin.kees »

Thx Conor, it works fine again. Kees
kberty

Post by kberty »

I purchased DVDpedia through the MAC App Store. I downloaded the beta version, opened the package contents, located the IMDB.plugin and tried swapping the beta plugin in the current App Store app. This did not work for me. The software did not even open. I got an error message which indicated that DVDpedia had "closed unexpectedly" and I was given 3 choices - ignore, report to Apple, reopen. I tried all three, tried restarting my MacBook Pro - all to no avail. Swapped the new imdb plugin for the original one and now the software opens again, but alas, no information from imdb.

I guess I will just have to wait a few week for the Mac App Store update. Unless anyone has other suggestions.

BTW, just to be clear - I know this will be fixed in a future version and just want to add my own praise of DVDpedia. I have a collection of over 1500 dvds and this is has been the ideal program for me to use to organize, catalog and keep track of my movies. Just love it. I am still inputting data, so this version change through Mac App Store is a bit of a hiccup, but I look forward to getting back to using this excellent product.