Bwana doesn't work with Safari 6

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
tycho
Inductee
Inductee

Bwana doesn't work with Safari 6

Post by tycho »

Bwana is a terrific timesaver that I recommend to my students.
In Safari 6, with the combined search field, it doesn't work to use man:command. Any way to fix that?

Thanks for a great product
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Bwana doesn't work with Safari 6

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the kind words and the recommendation. The new integrates search field into the URL field in Safari 6 breaks any colon only protocols as they can't tell the difference between a protocol and a colon search that is supposed to go to Google. The solution is to add two slashes: [url=man://ls]man://ls[/url]. It's possible to use a single slash, but you need an untested updated version of Bwana that can be downloaded here.
CompuZee

Post by CompuZee »

While I try not to be on the bleeding edge of technology, Apple's decision to shut down Mobile Me and replace it with iCloud forced me to move from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. So I too discovered this after many hours of checking and muttering things to myself. It was Apple that broke a wonderful piece of software that like you I often recommend to people.

However, I did come up with a work-around by putting Bwana in my login items on my Mac. This pops up a dialog at login that you can use to search for man pages.

When the dialog comes up, search for something simple like the page for ls. This opens Safari with the man page for ls --- just like it should. From that point on you search from the search box in the upper left corner just as it always has been.

The only CAVEAT is once you do this the dialog screen closes and the only way I have found to reopen it is to log out and then log back in to my account. So once you have Bwana open in Safari, DO NOT CLOSE the browser window. After the first few times you do and have to log out and log in you WILL remember the penalty for closing the window.

The only other suggestion I have is actually a question for the developers.

Is there any way to create an alias or symlink that would let us reopen the initial dialog box? I understand that this is not a fix, merely a workaround, but between your work around and my discovery, an alias or simlink link would let you write the code you need to write for a permanent fix and take a little pressure off the programers.

Zee
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Relaunching "Bwana" should bring up the initial dialog. Typing Bwana into Spotlight and launching the application again should do be the fastest solution.
CompuZee

Post by CompuZee »

I have two questions for the developers.

1. Is there any update on this issue?

2. I use a Safari add on called Glims which allows additional tweaks to Safari. One of the tweaks provides the ability to add search engines to the drop-down menu.
• Could I use this feature to access Bwana?
• What URL would I use in the 'Query URL' field?

Thanks again for a very useful product.

Zee
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

1. Is there any update on this issue?
Apple changed the way it's handles their URL and Bwana now always needs two slashes when entered into the toolbar, to be a URL.
• Could I use this feature to access Bwana?
• What URL would I use in the 'Query URL' field?
Should not be an issue, use man://*, where the * stands for the wild card that gets replaced by the search. I use LaunchBar this way to quickly open a manual page.
mantis
Inductee
Inductee

Post by mantis »

In Safari 6, you can pair Bwana with with Safari Keyword Search so that typing "man command" will bring up the corresponding man page.

After you install the extension, right click on any web page and open Keyword Search Settings. Create a new keyword, "man", with the URL expansion "man://@@@", and you should be all set.