Issue with Ligatures

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
cortig
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Issue with Ligatures

Post by cortig »

Hi All,

I wante to report a problem I saw in DVDPedia (and that can possibly affect some of the other Pedias).
French uses ligatures (œ, æ) in a number of words (cœur, sœur…).
If you perform a search typing in the appropriate ligature, the search returns no result (I tested this mostly with Amazon).
If you re-try the search without using the ligature (coeur, soeur…), then you get a result.

I don;t know if it is a problem in DVDPedia, or in the search engines, but for a future version, it'd be nice to try and work around the issue by parsing the ligature and querying for the terms with the separate letters… :-)

Corentin
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Issue with Ligatures

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the bug report. I thought the encoding was being handled correctly, double checked it and it was fine. Turns out that Amazon does not even store the ligature and hence you get no results. All their results are stored as the two letter combo and they make no effort to match it. I have added to DVDpedia that it do the translation automatically when searching. Now in the Beta.
cortig
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Issue with Ligatures

Post by cortig »

I suspected it was something like that.
The β works beautifully. Thanks a million for that!

Corentin