Problem with Light Info View Template in Bookpedia

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
scubahooch

Problem with Light Info View Template in Bookpedia

Post by scubahooch »

Hi Bruji

Thanks for a great suite of apps. I use DVDpedia and now Bookpedia a lot. I've been repurposing Bookpedia as an image library for a separate project I'm starting and I've McGyvered an info view template to suit. It's working pretty well and I have just redirected some fields to show the Custom fields I need and I'm feeling pretty pleased with it all. But I'd like to use the Light template except the links display doesn't seem to work. I only know very basic HTML and the code looks ok but it actually doesn't link to the links in each record. Is it possible to fix this?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Problem with Light Info View Template in Bookpedia

Post by Conor »

Glad to hear you were able to repurpose Bookpedia. The default Light template the links work correctly and display. The link code inside the template should be:

Code: Select all

<!--IFlinks
<div class="gradient">[translate:links]</div>
	<div class="links">
		<ul>
		[linksBegin]
			<li><a href="[link:url]">[link:name]</a></li>
		[linksEnd]
		</ul>
	</div><br />
ENDlinks-->
The links for an entry should be file:///Users/fa/Desktop/Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 5.41.58 PM.png or http://bruji.com/ or similar. If you can't seem to find the issue, do send me the template file as well as a .bcard (drag a book out from the table view to the Finder to create this file). With that information I can test it out with the template you have and your data.
scubahooch

Post by scubahooch »

Hi Conor

Thanks for the reply. I got busy and abandoned the template issue and just used a reformatted collections one. But now the database is well underway and working so well - I fired up the Light template the other day and found the problem - and we're both right. The links do work but only if they have names of a certain length. I found the culprit in the links style section (sorry I don't know what it's called)

.links ul {
margin: 0px 0px 0px -35px;
list-style-type: none;
white-space: nowrap;
overflow: hidden;
width: 98%;
}

I changed it to:

margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;

and all is good. My test links all had 2 character names so that's why they didn't appear to work.

I have another question that is probably another thread but perhaps you can answer it here. Now I've done all this work I've got a great image library with a significantly altered info panel that I've adjusted via the template and also in the global preferences. I still use a normal book bookpedia database as well (as intended - for my books!). As they are quite separate projects I swap between the two databases by using the option key on start up and select the database I need and that's fine but is there any way to automatically switch my global preferences to match each style of database? I'm not hopeful about this as I know I'm using bookpedia in a quite different way than it is designed to work but you never know. Or have you any plans to make an imagepedia!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad you were able to track down that issue.

The preferences are all stored in a preference file in ~/Library/Preferences/com.bruji.bookpedia.plist, so there no way to do it automatically with Bookpedia. You could save a copy of each preference file and then have a script that renames the preference files and launches Bookpedia. (You wouldn't even need to change database as the location is also stored in the preference file). There is a program that does this for you, so that you could have multiple copies of preferences for any program, although it was aimed at iPhoto, but I forgot what the name of the program was. It was something Japanese sounding and would manage additional support files as well such as "Application Support".
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Conor wrote:There is a program that does this for you, so that you could have multiple copies of preferences for any program, although it was aimed at iPhoto, but I forgot what the name of the program was.
The one I'm aware of is SwitchUp, formerly rooSwitch. Kind of pricey ($29), but apparently there's an "Unlimited Free Trial":
What's the catch behind your "Unlimited Free Trial"?
No catch, you can use these applications for as long as you need to in order to determine if they are right for you. You will be occasionally remind that you're running the trial (demo) version, and that you need to purchase a license if you want to continue using the application.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you SJK, that was the application I was thinking of. I did a search for Switcharoo and ended up at Switcheroo and thought I might have been wrong about the whole Roo bit.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Sounds like your brain did a switcheroo, while mine was sluggishly remembering the name… now recognizable to both again. :)