New entries disappear / export dialogue appears...

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
h.langen
Inductee
Inductee

New entries disappear / export dialogue appears...

Post by h.langen »

Hi there.

I'm using DVDpedia for quite some time now and am quite satisfied with the program in general.

However recently I'm plagued by two bugs I can't really explain.

1.) Whenever I add a new entry (DVD) to my database the editing window unexpectedly closes and the data I was typing in is lost. I can't seem to trigger this behavior in any way.

2.) From time to time the export dialogue just appears. Same here, I can't find out what triggers this.

Do I have to worry if there is something seriously wrong with my database?

Thanks for any help :D .
Holger
Conor
Top Dog

Re: New entries disappear / export dialogue appears...

Post by Conor »

Hi Holger,

Thank you for clear issue report. It sounds very peculiar indeed. I can't think of anything that would trigger two so different bugs. These behavior can be triggered by keyboard shortcut such as "command-s" for the export dialogue to come up or "ESC" to close the edit window (although you would get a warning sheet about changes needed to be saved or discarded). Either way it would be not an easy task to hit command-s accidentally while typing. More likely it's a mouse click on the main window that is hiding your edit window behind. Do make sure to position your edit window so that it can be seen, even if in the background; e.i. the edit window has to have part of it's area not overlapping the main window. Move it around by dragging it by the title bar. If the main window is full screen drag the bottom right of the main window to resize it, this will give you a little space on the right side of the screen to place part of the edit window.

Otherwise, here are common steps I would take with any program that is acting up:

1 (and most important). Make sure to have recent backups of your data from ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia. If you're using TIme Machine it will be backing up this location automatically. Under Lion+ you need to hold down the option key and click on the Finder "Go" menu and select "Library" to view the Library folder as it's normally hidden now from the users home folder.

2. You can download a brand new copy of DVDpedia and replace your current copy.

3. Remove the preference file without DVDpedia running. It's located in ~/Library/Preferences/com.bruji.dvdpedia.plist. On the next launch of DVDpedia you will have to reset all your personal preferences in the preference pane as well as window size and location.

4. Could you have a look at your console log, see if there are any messages from DVDpedia? You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log. Any technically issues and errors DVDpedia would report them into this log.

(Specific to DVDpedia)
5. Hold down the option key and click on the main "Help" menu, a few hidden debug options will come up. Select "Verify Database". DVDpedia will go through and check every record in your database make sure everything is as expected.

6. Feel free to email me your database file from ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Database.dvdpd if it continues to occur so I can try to reproduce it here.

Regards,
Conor