Sorting

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
caorongjin
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Sorting

Post by caorongjin »

While Bookpedia is quite clean and seems to be well thought through, there are a few quirks when it comes to internationalization support.

In particular, I find that sorting is completely thrown off when Chinese titles or names are included. In Bookpedia, you need to add a "Sorted title" which is completely ignored in Pocketpedia. In Pocketpedia, the first character of the Chinese (Chinese words are often more than a single character long) is listed in the alphabetical scroll-to list on the right. However, since this can mean thousands of first characters, this doesn't make that much sense.

From what it looks like, the Contacts app, for example, sorts using UILocalizedIndexedCollation which handles the sorting logic for you. It is much smarter than using the first character (which is just plain wrong in languages like Chinese). This makes life so much easier AND, if it can be done in Bookpedia too, I won't have to manually add my own "sorted title" to every entry. :D

Another random quirk about Pocketpedia is the use of the "Sent to" button is definitely not intuitive as a "Sort by" button. Please change the icon. :roll:

Alex