Pocketpedia sync and security encription

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
jdonato
Contributor
Contributor

Pocketpedia sync and security encription

Post by jdonato »

Hi
I was trying to sync for the very first time my pedias (latest versions) with Pocketpedia3 on iPhone 4 (latest IOS 6).

I created a network on my computer with security set to 128 bit WEP. Connected the iPhone to the same network and was not able to sync. I know the machines were communicating somehow (Little Snitch asked for permission to allow Bookpedia and CDPedia to connect to iPhone), so I was sure they saw each other, at least momentarily. But after granting permission, Pocketpedia stalled at "Requesting Collections".

Tried sending a CDPEdia export via iTunes, which worked as expected. Now I had my dummy CDPedia (1 cd) file on my iPhone. Tried syncing wirelessly, again to no avail. I had my iPhone disconnected from USB, no Bluetooth, restarted both apps, restated both machines, nothing seemed to work.

Then I tried creating a network (same name and channel as before) but without security. After connecting both devices again (no rebooting necessary) everything worked from there on. I could sync back and forth from my dummy CDPedia (added 1 dummy cd, deleted both cds), and I could sync, for the first time, with my real Bookpedia db (40 books so far, thousands to go :-) ). I was very impressed with the fast sync for the books, covers and all. Great job!

Is the inability to sync via ad hoc network with security: by design; a bug; or something else with my setup?
Thanks
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Pocketpedia sync and security encription

Post by Conor »

The network setup should be completely transparent to both CDpedia and Pocketpedia. They use Apple's Bonjour to detect each other without having the user enter network information. For the actual sync ASyncSocket, a public framework, is used. ASyncSocket uses the Unix socket system to establish the connection. Even at the lower level of ASyncSocket framework the connection details area hidden, OS X takes care of setting up the connection. The only bits of information we pass are a port an and IP address obtained from Bonjour.

For testing I created an ad-hoc direct network with 128 bit WEP (password all 1s) and was able to sync without issue directly to both an iPhone 3GS and an iPad 3 running iOS 6.1.3. We also regularly use a router with WPA or WPA2 security and have never had issues.

When the sync stalls it's normally a firewall issue that is blocking the returning reply from CDpedia to Pocketpedia (CDpedia saw the initial request as there was an ask for permissions alert). Do check your firewall settings in OS X and Little Snitch. It's odd that they would behave different if WEP is enable, but everything is possible.
jdonato
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jdonato »

Thanks Conor

For an update. Went home and tried with my Wi-Fi router with security (either wpa or wep, don't remember now) and it worked, no problems at all.
Went back to workplace, tried again with a network with security, and it also worked. Nothing has changed, I even used the same network name and password as before, and I haven't turn my computer or phone off since yesterday. Very strange indeed, but at least everything is working great. Will have to rule this as a one-time problem.
Thanks a lot for your explanation. Great support.
By the way, your sync is fast!! Having used Delicious Library and their short-lived iOS app (still have it installed and use occasionally) I can say that Pocketpedia is extremely faster.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad to hear it's working. We have been working on the sync for about four years now, with each x. release it gets better. Working on the final touches for the next Pocketpedia version before starting iOS 7 work.