Database just disappeared on iPad

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
suzoz
Contributor
Contributor

Database just disappeared on iPad

Post by suzoz »

A few weeks ago the bookpedia database on my iphone disappeared. I couldn't even get the sync button to respond. I haven't had time to dedicate to tracking down a solution or searching through forum posts, but I was okay with getting by with my iPad for the time being. Well, today I was manually adding books, and when I went to scan the third isbn, the entire database DISAPPEARED. I now have a screen that tells me to search the Doghouse to start building my collection.

I quickly backed up my mac database to an external hard drive, as well as to Excel. I'm afraid to sync anything to my mac (the sync button shows up on the ipad, but I'm afraid to touch it, lest I wipe out the mac db). I love your product, but I'm just kind of numb right now. What is my recourse?

Thanks
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Database just disappeared on iPad

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the detailed bug report. First time we hear about this issue, I apologize as of course it should not happen. Do please send us the console log for your iPad so that I can have more information on what was happening behind the scenes. To get the console log please use the following iOS Console app that will display the console log for any iOS device connected via USB. You can use "File -> Save" and then email us the resulting file.

To get back up and running, remove Pocketpedia from your iPhone and iPad. Then download it brand new from the App Store. This way you will have a clean install of Pocketpedia that you will be able to sync all your data to from Bookpedia. Do let me know if it happens again after that and any details you can remember about the last changes that were done in Pocketpedia that triggered the disappearance. Also the console log, as the above one might be so old that it no longer has the relevant messages. iOS does a lot go logging and messages history gets lost quite fast. Thank you.
suzoz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by suzoz »

Is there another version of the console log viewer I can use? I'm running OS X 10.6.8 and the one you linked requires 10.9.2 or higher.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You can use the Apple's iPhone Configuration Utility software to view the log as well. That should run under 10.6.8. Connect your device to a Mac via USB as well and run the iPhone Configuration Utility application and click on the "Console" sidebar to view the log and copy paste any Pocketpedia messages.