Syncing Mac with iPhone and other issues.

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
depom

Syncing Mac with iPhone and other issues.

Post by depom »

Dear support team,

I use DVDPEDIA for many years. it is a great software.

I have 642 DVD inside the database and every DVD has his own cover.

But now i am in front of some annoying bugs.

Please let me explain :

1) I can’t sync covers between my Mac (OS 10.12.6) and iPhone (iOS 12.1)

The three syncing methods give these results :

a) WIFI standard connexion (internet box) : no sync at all
b) direct WIFI connexion (Mac to iPhone) : no sync at all
c) iTunes way : all the database is synced … but none of the covers aren’t copied !

I try the sync with « option » : nothing happends !

When I ckeck the DVD database, all the covers are present. But when I inspect the export database for Pocketpedia, none covers are present inside the archive.

So when importing into Pokectpedia using iTunes, none cover is imported and the result is none cover is inside the Pocketpedia.

To conclude on this topic, the WIFI way to sync isn’t working at all and the export function for Pocketpedia database doesn’t include the covers.

2) The scan function to identify the DVD using the iSight cam isn’t working, despite the many ways i try. The bar code isn’t recognized !

All theses functions where workin fine some month ago !

Any solution to correct theses problems ?

Best regards

Denis
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Syncing Mac with iPhone and other issues.

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the bug report on the sync. Sorry to hear that it has stopped working. Welcome to the forum, I apologize that you did not see your post right away. All new users need to get moderated, it helps keep the spam down.

Thank you for trying out the direct connection to discard any changes in the network setup. Do please also try restarting all devices, including the iPhone.

The fact that the iTunes was is not including the covers is really confusing. The package created by the export should inside of it have "Database.dvdpd" and two folders "LargeCovers" and "Thumbs" that should be filled with covers.

When you export the file for iTunes please check your console log, see if there are any messages from DVDpedia? . Could be one image is causing an issue and this is affecting all the syncs as it's unable to carry on with the image exports. You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log, but with 10.13 and 10.14 it's easier to search for "DVDpedia" on the top right as there is tons of diagnostics printed out by the system.

2) I assume we are talking on the Mac and not Pocketpedia that also has a barcode scanner. You can have the Pocketpedia version send the scans back to the Mac version for searching, by tapping the Mac icon on the bottom right of the scan window. But if the sync is not working, then this connection might be disabled as well. What kind of Mac hardware are you using?

Also please do try the beta if you have 10.12 or above, as it has many changes in all areas.
depom

Post by depom »

Thank you for your kind reply

For the sync issue, the problem isn't with itunes...but with DVDpedia.
As i told you, the file exported from DVDpedia to be imported inside Pocketpedia don't contain any cover !
The file exported is less than 1 mega but the overall database is 35 megas.
Also, when i open the file exported with "show the packet contain", there is no cover inside the two folders (Large covers and Thumbs)
So the big issue is with the export process from DVDpedia.
Same issue with the beta version of DVDpedia !

I'll try to use scan capabilities of the iphone !
But don't undestand why the DVDpedia on the mac isn't capable to recognize the bar code !

My mac is a Macbookpro 9,2 / 13 inches mi-2012 with a FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in).

Best regards

Denis
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

depom wrote: 1) I can’t sync covers between my Mac (OS 10.12.6) and iPhone (iOS 12.1)
depom wrote: My mac is a Macbookpro 9,2 / 13 inches mi-2012 with a FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in).
Have you thought about upgrading to macOS 10.14.01 Mojave ? Your MacBook Pro is capable of taking macOS Mojave.

Then downloading and installing the latest beta as Conor suggested as the latest beta is optimised for the latest macOS and iOS together.

Also I think you posted your console log into the wrong topic. (Update: I copied it and removed it to clean the other topic).

There is also one other thing you can do and that is use, what I call a "Grease & Oil Change" maintenance program called Onyx. This is a free program that is a multifunction utility that you can use to verify the structure of the system files, to run miscellaneous maintenance and cleaning tasks, to configure parameters in the Finder, Dock, Safari, and some of Apple's applications, to delete caches, to remove certain problematic folders and files, to rebuild various databases and indexes, and more. I always use it prior and post system OS updates and about once a month.

This program is available here: Titanium Software - Onyx. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the extra information. From the console log I can see that there is an error with one of the DVD attributes it's trying to export and hence why none of your syncs are working, including the missing covers in the backup export.

Could you visit your data folder for DVDpedia and send me your database files. You will find the database in your data folder located in your home folder at ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Database.dvdpd. Use the Finder "Go" menu and hold down the option key and select the "Library" option. Once there navigate to Application Support/DVDpedia and select Database.dvdpd and Backup1Month.dvdpd use the "Compress" command under the main "File" menu. This will create a Archive.zip version that you can then attach to an email message.
depom

Post by depom »

Dear DVDpedia support team

All the sync issue is solved now. Hopefully !

The origin is a recently modified setting inside the Language & Region control panel.

The French was set as the primary preferred language !

When i set English as the primary preferred language, the Mac and the iPhone where able to exchange again using WIFI and all the covers where successfully copied from the Mac to the Pocketpedia data base on my iPhone.

The scan bar code function using iPhone is working much better than the Mac integrated cam.
This is maybe the point that need to be corrected.

Thank you very much for your help

Kind regards

Denis
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for keeping us updated. We shall be sure to check the localization into French and make sure that everything is there and connected correctly in the French version.