Bookpedia Lookup Amazon with ASIN not working

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Dwwilkin
Contributor
Contributor

Bookpedia Lookup Amazon with ASIN not working

Post by Dwwilkin »

I tried this last night and this morning and the Add function is not returning any values for the ASIN from Amazon, or doing it incorrectly in a foreign language (spanish?)
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Bookpedia Lookup Amazon with ASIN not working

Post by Conor »

Do please try the beta version.
Dwwilkin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dwwilkin »

Okay I'll try that but did it stop working for 5.6.1?
Dwwilkin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dwwilkin »

I Have os 10.11.6 so the Beta doesn't work
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

There are improvements in the beta version. With the old version you can sign up with personal keys, but Amazon is restricting the web services to bigger referrals that create a bigger volume of sales. They want to stop the personal data service as it was used in the past. I'll see if I can port some of the improvements back, in the meantime do bring Doghouse up on the search list as well as some of the other sites that also provide good results.
wkpna
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by wkpna »

Regular search on Amazon stopped working for me today (on version 5.6.1 — it was working fine until a couple of days ago).

I tried searching the ASIN and got the desired result back.
Gary
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gary »

I've just run into this problem too: last addition was earlier this week (Wednesday Feb 20), but today (Sunday Feb 24) it's skipping over Amazon. I pulled the current beta as suggested, but I'm still not getting the Amazon search working when using the ASIN. Guess I'll have to build the new entry by hand for now – at least I'm not buying high numbers of books.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Please provide at least 3 sample ASIN numbers for Conor to check.
Cheers
Gary
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gary »

At least three samples? Okay.

Item #1 is the ebook I purchased yesterday. This continues to fail to be found when doing a search from within Bookpedia (now the current beta version) today.

The other two (you asked for at least three) are the two other most recent purchases - which were successfully added via their ASIN's at the time of purchase. Neither of these is now returning a result when searched for from within Bookpedia. It seems likely that this pattern would be repeated for all of my Kindle books which were previously added successfully using their ASINs.
  1. B00AWJYJVA • A Delicate Truth • https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Delicate-Tru ... 00AWJYJVA/
  2. B005XRA0U0 • The Looking Glass War • https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Looking-Glas ... 005XRA0U0/
  3. B00SLWQGSY • In Cold Blood • https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cold-Blood-Bea ... 00SLWQGSY/
Hope this helps.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Are you using your own Amazon Associate ID or the Bruji Amazon Test ID?

Conor has come up with a work around and built into the pedia's a dedicated Bruji pedia Amazon Web Services (AWS) Associate ID. To enable this "hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select "Amazon Test" so that a check mark appears. You should then have access to Amazon search.

Now go into Preferences > Sites list and Tick or Untick the Amazon sites you want or do not want and then drag the wanted sites up to the search priority level you want.

Hope this helps
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Gary,

Thank you for all the details and the information. Amazon limiting their API to resellers providing a higher number of sales. So even if you are using your own keys, do try the beta version with the Amazon Test feature mentioned by Fine Wine. You only need do this once. I will then clean up the interface to display this in the settings, as if you visit the Amazon Settings after setting the new beta feature it will then try to revert and log you in with your credentials.

Kind regards,
Conor
wkpna
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by wkpna »

Sorry, I posted on the wrong thread! :oops:

I was talking about DVDpedia.