Definite Article Export to CSV File Problem

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
kennedyrt
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Definite Article Export to CSV File Problem

Post by kennedyrt »

In DVDpedia 6.0.1 (Beta 145), definite articles (e.g., the, el, los, etc.) in titles are correctly ignored when sorting by the title.

However, when exported to a .csv file, the title retains the definite article as the first word. When sorting by title column in Microsoft Excel, the title is sorted by the definite article. To get the file in Excel to match the sorting in DVDpedia, a great deal of editing is required.

When exporting to a .csv file, the definite article should be placed at the end of the title. For example:

Title in DVDpedia: The Secret Life of Cats
Current incorrect export of Title to .csv file: The Secret Life of Cats
Correct export of Title to .csv file: Secret Life of Cats, The
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Definite Article Export to CSV File Problem

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. We have fine tuned our sorting to ignore the definite article and be fast about it. I had never really considered exporting and moving the article to the back to help other programs correctly ignore the article. I'll look into that for a feature.

But since you are using Excel and I use it for my accounting here you go (prepare for greatness in programming 8) , copy and paste into an new column to the right of your title column in Excel):

Code: Select all

=IF(LEFT(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)),2)="A ",MID(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)), 3, LEN(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)))) & ", " & LEFT(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)),1), IF(LEFT(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)),3)="An ",MID(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)), 4, LEN(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)))) & ", " & LEFT(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)),2),IF(LEFT(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)),4)="The ",MID(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)), 5, LEN(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)))) & ", " & LEFT(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)),3),INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)))))
Sort the new column. :D