Error on update

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
PascalB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Error on update

Post by PascalB »

Hi everyone,

I do not find anything talking about my problem, so I open a new post.

My search on amazon.fr didn't give me any result (for this, I found the explanation in the forum, thank you) and the second thing I tried after closing and opening my pedias and before to come here, was to look for any possible update of the softwares through the menu which return me this error message :
Bookpedia (or CDPedia) cant't be updated when it works from a read only disc like an image disk or an optical reader (sorry for the translation, my pedias are in French). Move Bookpedia (or CDPedia) in your Applications Folder, open it again and try again
. I followed the instructions but my pedias were already in the Applications Folder and it didn't change anything.

Any idea of what's happening ?

Many thanks, in advance,

Pascal
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Error on update

Post by FineWine »

Puis-je faire quelques suggestions:

1 - Dans le menu Aide, vous pouvez effectuer certaines actions de maintenance masquées; 'maintenez enfoncée la touche d'option et cliquez sur le menu principal d'aide et sélectionnez - chacun à son tour:' Vérifier la base de données ',' Supprimer les couvertures orphelines 'et' Nettoyer les doublons dans les champs ' ceux-ci peuvent ne pas résoudre vos problèmes mais ça ne fera pas de mal non plus.

2 - Si vous rencontrez toujours des problèmes, vous devrez peut-être désinstaller le pedia. J'utilise une application de désinstallation gratuite appelée AppCleaner. Vous pouvez le récupérer ici. Il est bon de trouver un grand nombre de fichiers de détritus (caches, etc.) appartenant aux pedia. Assurez-vous qu'il y a une coche dans toutes les cases SAUF POUR ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia (ou CDpedia) avant de cliquer sur le bouton Supprimer.

3 - Accédez maintenant au site bêta de Pedia et téléchargez la version bêta appropriée. Ce sont des programmes pleinement opérationnels et très sûrs à utiliser.

4 - Il y a aussi une autre chose que vous pouvez faire et c'est d'utiliser, ce que j'appelle un programme d'entretien "Grease & Oil Change" appelé Onyx. Il s'agit d'un programme GRATUIT qui est un utilitaire multifonction que vous pouvez utiliser pour vérifier la structure des fichiers système, pour exécuter diverses tâches de maintenance et de nettoyage, pour configurer les paramètres dans le Finder, Dock, Safari et certaines applications d'Apple, pour supprimer caches, pour supprimer certains dossiers et fichiers problématiques, pour reconstruire diverses bases de données et index, etc. Je l'utilise toujours avant et après les mises à jour du système d'exploitation et environ une fois par mois. Surtout surtout dans ce cas concernant le nouveau macOS 10.15.* Catalina qui a abandonné la prise en charge de TOUTES les applications 32 bits.

Ce programme est disponible ici: Logiciel Titanium - Onyx. TÉLÉCHARGEZ UNIQUEMENT LA VERSION POUR VOS macOS

J'espère que cela peut vous être utile

Veuillez mettre à nu Conor & Nora, ils mettent furieusement à jour tous les médias en général, tout en gardant leur jeune famille en sécurité et divertie en ces temps de crise pandémique mondiale.

Soyez tous patients et de bonnes choses arriveront bientôt.

(translating provided by google translate)

May I make some suggestions:

1 - Within the Help menu there are some hidden maintenance actions you could perform; 'hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu and select - each in turn: 'Verify Database', 'Remove Orphaned Covers' and 'Clean Duplicates in Fields' these may not solve your problems but it wont hurt either.

2 - If you are still having problems you may have to uninstall the pedia. I use a free uninstaller App called AppCleaner. You can grab it from here. It is good at finding a lot of detritus files (caches etc) belonging to the pedia's. Ensure there is a tick in all the boxes EXCEPT FOR ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia (or CDpedia) before you click the Remove button.

3 - Now goto the Pedia's beta site and download the appropriate beta. These are fully functioning programs and very safe to use.

4 - There is also one other thing you can do and that is to use, what I call a "Grease & Oil Change" maintenance program called Onyx. This is a FREE program that is a multifunction utility that you can use to verify the structure of the system files, to run miscellaneous maintenance and cleaning tasks, to configure parameters in the Finder, Dock, Safari, and some of Apple's applications, to delete caches, to remove certain problematic folders and files, to rebuild various databases and indexes, and more. I always use it prior and post system OS updates and about once a month. Also especially in this case concerning the new macOS 10.15.* Catalina which has dropped support for ALL 32 bit App's.

This program is available here: Titanium Software - Onyx. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

Hope this may be of some help

Please bare with Conor & Nora, they are furiously updating all the pedia's in general, all the while keeping their young family safe and entertained during these times of the global pandemic crisis.

Please all be patient and good things will arrive soon.
PascalB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by PascalB »

Thank you very much.

I followed all the instructions step by step and everything works well now (except the search on Amazon).
There is just the Amazon informations (Access Key, Secret Key, Associate Id) for which I do not remember what to do do and what to fill in ?

Thank you again,

Pascal
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Au cours des deux dernières années, Amazon a commencé à devenir très difficile en permettant aux gens de rechercher leurs bases de données et de capturer ces données à partir de ces bases de données. Par conséquent, Bruji a tenté, avec succès, de trouver un moyen de contourner ce problème en incluant dans tous les médias un identifiant générique de services Web Amazon. Si votre ancien identifiant privé ne fonctionne plus, procédez comme suit:

1 - Il y a un paramètre de menu caché qui peut nécessiter d'être activé: 'maintenez la touche d'option et cliquez une fois sur le menu d'aide principal dans chaque programme et sélectionnez - Amazon Test' .

2 - Maintenant, cliquez sur DVDpedia > Préférences > Sites > Paramètres Amazon (en bas à gauche du panneau) dans le champ Clé d'accès: il devrait indiquer Amazon Test Enabled . Tous les autres champs doivent être vides. Maintenant, cliquez sur S'inscrire .

3 - Vous pouvez également hiérarchiser l'ordre de recherche en cliquant avec le bouton gauche de la souris - en le maintenant enfoncé - et en faisant glisser les différents sites de recherche vers le haut ou vers le bas de la liste dans l'ordre dans lequel vous souhaitez que le pedia recherche des informations.

REMARQUE: sachez que les médias ne capturent pas les images de couverture du site amazon américain. Il les capture cependant à partir du site amazon britannique. Conor a été informé de ce bogue.

(translation provided by google translate)

Over the last couple of years amazon has started to become very difficult in allowing people to search their data bases and to capture that data from these data bases. Therefore Bruji has attempted, quite successfully, to come up with a work around for this by including in all the pedia's a generic amazon web services ID. If your previous own private ID is now no longer working please do the following:

1 - There is a hidden menu setting that may need turning on: 'hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select - Amazon Test'.

2 - Now click on DVDpedia > Preferences > Sites > Amazon Settings (bottom left of the panel) in the Access Key field: it should say Amazon Test Enabled. All the other fields should be blank. Now click on Sign Up.

3 - Also you can prioritise the search order by left clicking - hold - and dragging the various search sites up or down the list in the order you would like the pedia's to search for information.

NOTE: be aware that the pedia's are not capturing the cover images from the USA amazon site. It is however capturing them from UK amazon site. Conor has been informed about this bug.
PascalB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by PascalB »

Thank you, everything is OK now
Filou53
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Filou53 »

Hi.
It seems that I have the same problem of PascalB...
My 'old' iMac crashed some days ago and I have to reinstall some of my applications on my recent MacBook Air.
Yesterday, I installed again the Pediaa's (Book, CD & DVD) an I restored their data from Dropbox.
All seems to be ok BUT ...
today, when I launched an Amazon's research, nothing !
As explained in that post, I installed the Beta Version and clicked on 'S'inscrire' (it's a french version) with Amazon test enabled.
Nice, that works
but I retrieve only some of the informations: no 'commentaires', no 'Résumé'...
I verified with an 'old' book previously recorded : I had 'commentaires' and 'résumé'; the 'new' search don't find it..
Could you please help me ?

Thanks in advance